The University of Oklahoma (Norman campus)
Regular session – October 10, 2011 – 3:30 p.m. – Jacobson Faculty Hall 102
office: Jacobson Faculty Hall 206   phone: 325-6789
e-mail:   website:


The Faculty Senate was called to order by Professor Georgia Kosmopoulou, Chair.


PRESENT:       Adams, Apanasov, Ayres, Baer, Bemben, Bergey, Buckley, Burns, Chang, Chapple, Chiodo, Cox-Fuenzalida, Devegowda, Ellis, Fagg, Grady, Gramoll, Hahn, Jean-Marie, Keresztesi, Kimball, Klein, Kosmopoulou, Leseney, Loon, Marsh-Matthews, McPherson, Minter, Morvant, Moses, Nelson, A. Palmer, G. Palmer, Park, Ransom, Soreghan, Stoltenberg, Tabb, Taylor, Vehik, Verma, Williams, Wydra, Zhang, Zhu

Provost's office representative:  Mergler
Graduate College liaison:  Griffith
ISA representatives:  Cook, Hough

ABSENT:         Morrissey, Moxley, Natale, Stock, Xiao






Tobacco-free campus committee

2011-12 Academic Program Review Committee

Oklahoma Women in Higher Education conference

Benefits:  defined contribution plans management

Museum of Art website for faculty

Remarks by vice president for Research

Remarks by director of Museum of Art

Sooner Ally

Institutional Review Board electronic submission system

Election, councils/committees/boards

Senate Chair's Report:

Unit representation on Faculty Senate

Faculty issues and concerns

Parking for faculty on game days

Ozone, information technology issues

Security scans of computers

Tobacco-free campus

Work-life balance discussion






The Faculty Senate Journal for the regular session of September 12, 2011 was approved.





President Boren appointed the following faculty to serve on the committee to make recommendations on implementing a policy for a tobacco-free campus:  Cecelia Brown (Library & Information Studies), Michael Givel (Political Science), and Hank Jenkins-Smith (Political Science).


The following faculty will serve on the 2011-12 Academic Program Review Committee:  Michael Biggerstaff (Meteorology), Aimee Franklin (Political Science), Kae Koger (Drama), Jeff Schmidt (Marketing & Supply Chain Management), David Schmidtke (Chemical, Biological & Materials Engineering), and Alan Velie (English).  The panel also will include Associate Dean Rich Hamerla (Honors College), Associate Dean Barry Weaver (College of Earth & Energy), and Graduate Council representative Kimball Milton (Physics & Astronomy).  The units to be reviewed are Chemistry & Biochemistry, Educational Leadership & Policy Studies, Educational Psychology, Instructional Leadership & Academic Curriculum, Law, Liberal Studies, International & Area Studies, Native American Studies, and Women’s & Gender Studies.


The Oklahoma Women in Higher Education conference will be held Friday, November 18, at the University of Central Oklahoma.  The keynote speaker will be Dr. Patricia Cormier.  Further information is available at 


During the transition to Fidelity Investments for the defined contribution plans, account balances in TIAA-CREF will not be transferred to Fidelity unless the employee elects to transfer them.  However, as of October 31, future contributions must be directed to investments in the Fidelity lineup.


The Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art added a new page to their website specifically for faculty:   The page has information about resources at the museum, how to schedule a class visit, and upcoming events. Jessica Farling, Coordinator of Academic Programs, is available to help instructors get in touch with museum staff members, create a tour that meets their curricular needs, or hear their new ideas. Contact her at or 325-5990.





Dr. Kelvin Droegemeier, Vice President for Research (VPR), provided an update on research activities (slides available from the Faculty Senate office).  On September 22, the annual state of Norman campus research was held (see  Challenges to research and creative activity include a flat or declining federal agency research budget, retaining our best and brightest faculty, and making sure teaching and research are synergistic.  Last year was a very good year in terms of research.  The NOAA Cooperative Institute was renewed ($75 million over a five-year period), a $25 million GEAR-UP grant was awarded by the Department of Education, a $10.7 million grant from the Intelligence Advanced Research Project was received, and the Corix Institute for sustainability research was created.  Strategic initiatives started in 2003 are making a very substantial difference in our yearly expenditures.  It is not all about money.  Our faculty members have won Guggenheim fellowships, Fulbright scholarships, Lew Hunter award, and Golden Palm award, published articles in Nature and Science, and produced numerous books and journal articles.  These activities show the breadth of scholarship across all disciplines.  Last year, when we were well into the Aspire 2020 planning activity, Dr. Droegemeier said he wanted to create a center to help faculty members be successful in scholarship regardless of their discipline.  He wanted to enhance the visibility of research and incentivize and reward success in very tangible ways.  Most of the goals have been achieved.  Fourteen challenge grants, providing up to $100,000, were funded.  The Center for Research Program Development & Enrichment was created and is growing.  The research liaison program was launched.  A new incentives and rewards program is being created.  The Research Council portfolio was overhauled to make it more responsive to faculty needs.  The VPR created a faculty awards program.  He is trying to build our undergraduate research program and help with start-up packages for new faculty hires.  Aspire 2020 has been under way for about 18 months.  For each one of the three strategy areas, Dr. Droegemeier indicated the progress that had been made.  A two-year assessment will be done in the spring. 


The role of the Research Council is to evaluate and support proposals that are submitted and to be an advisory body to the president and the VPR on research matters.  Dr. Droegemeier created an ad hoc committee to review the funding portfolio and compare it with other institutions.  What the committee found was the programs were confusing and too prescriptive.  The committee made a lot of suggestions, which the council has been discussing.  The Research Council came up with a streamlined portfolio:  junior faculty fellowship program, book publication subvention program, travel support, and the faculty investment program (FIP), which will contain all other funding opportunities and will have a budget $5000 higher than before.  The FIP does not require faculty to obtain external funding as a goal, and requests can be made for course release.  The Center for Research Program Development & Enrichment (CRPDE), led by Alicia Knoedler, can help faculty develop competitive proposals.  In developing the concept of the new Research Council portfolio, Dr. Droegemeier had a lot of discussion with various groups.  The Research Council will vote October 17, and the new program will be rolled out in November. 


In addition, the Research Council has developed a conflict of interest policy for reviewing proposals.  In the past, the council has operated with integrity but without a formal policy.  To be consistent with national norms of ethical behavior and to be able to defend its recommendations for funding, the VPR and the council thought it was important to create a formal policy.  The key points are Research Council members may not request council funding during their term of service, and they must recuse themselves if they believe their participation would compromise the integrity of the process.  Faculty who submit a proposal will have to disclose a potential conflict.  Two council members will review each proposal, and at least one reviewer will have to be un-conflicted and familiar with the topic area.  Non-council members who know the subject matter may be asked to review a proposal if a conflict exists (but they would not vote).  Those who receive funding would have to agree to review three proposals within a two-year period if asked.  The proposed process would mean the council would be operating with the highest levels of integrity.  With the help of the CRPDE, faculty members are likely to submit more competitive proposals. 


Prof. Nelson noted that some additional criteria are used at the national level (e.g., co-authoring a paper, co-organizing a symposium).  Dr. Droegemeier said the council members want to operate with the proposed criteria first and then re-visit the issue to decide if they want to do more.  Prof. Grady asked if the council would require an outside reviewer for the FIP and if that reviewer would be at the meeting.  Dr. Droegemeier said the council could ask for an outside reviewer if no member is familiar with the subject matter or if a member familiar with the subject is conflicted.  Non-Research Council reviewers would not be at the meeting and would not vote but could call in to participate in the discussion.  They would be given guidelines on how to review a proposal.  Prof. Jean-Marie asked whether the faculty would be given more information about the programs contained in the FIP.  Dr. Droegemeier said each program would have its own page.  The junior faculty fellowship program is basically the same except the budget was increased.  The book publication and open access subvention program is available but is a work in progress.  The faculty travel support program is somewhat similar to the current one-third program.  However, in the travel grant program, funds will be divided equally across 12 months, and proposals may not be submitted more than two months in advance.  In the past, the funding was given on a first-come-first-served basis, and the funds were depleted by March.  Prof. Burns pointed out that many disciplines have annual meetings in summer; less money will be available than in the past.  Dr. Droegemeier said the change may not solve all the problems, but he wants to take this first step and see how it goes.  About $70,000-80,000 was added to the budget. 


The Center for Applied Research and Development was created for applied research and development projects.  James Grimsley was hired half-time to be its director.  The CRPDE has two new staff members:  Nancy Devino, who is in Tulsa and can help faculty develop their research programs and proposals for support, and Todd Fuller, who has a Ph.D. in English and can help the arts and humanities faculty. 


Through the research liaisons, Dr. Droegemeier is mapping the research and creative activity thematically.  He created two $2500 VPR awards for outstanding research engagement and outstanding research impact.  The faculty leadership academy is intended to help faculty members develop their leadership capabilities.  A lot has been accomplished in the last year and a half.  The emphasis for the next few years will be on the defense, security and intelligence arena, particularly for faculty in the humanities, on national centers, on a couple of additional core areas of interaction with the Health Sciences Center, and on one or two more research pillars, besides weather and climate.  Dr. Droegemeier thanked the faculty for working so hard.  Research is not just about the money; it is about the scholarly output.  Going forward, he wants to unlock the potential of the faculty and remove the barriers.  He needs the good ideas and continued support of the faculty.  Faculty may email any questions to him. 





Prof. Ghislain d’Humieres said he has been the director of the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art for four years.  The new Stuart wing of the museum will open on October 22.  On October 23, a free community program will feature artist demonstrations and musical entertainment.  Admission is free to the public both days.  The new wing will house the Adkins collection, the largest collection of western and Native American art in the country.  In addition, the original 1971 building was rehabilitated, the museum staff now has administrative offices, and a new library/education room can be used by faculty who want to teach an art-related class.  Prof. d’Humieres would like to reach out to units that are not art-related and offer some collaborative programs.  For this reason, he created a new position, coordinator of academic programs, to find ways faculty members can use the museum in their disciplines.  He distributed a calendar of events, which is online, an invitation to the opening of the Stuart wing, and a flyer announcing a faculty workshop.  He noted that the museum is part of the OU Arts District.  Almost every night something is going on in the arts district, and many of the events are free. 


Jessica Farling, the new coordinator of academic programs, explained that the faculty workshops will allow faculty to learn more about the museum’s permanent collection.  On November 10 Prof. Alan Atkinson (Art) will talk about the Asian art collection and give a tour.  Director of education Susan Baley will guide faculty in how to incorporate the collection into the curriculum.  The workshop is free, but registration is required.  Prof. d’Humieres commented that when Ms. Farling was a student at OU, she created the Art Museum Ambassador to involve students from every college in art.  Between Christmas and New Year, the museum is open and free.  Prof. Apanasov asked whether the faculty workshops would be held on Thursday afternoons.  Ms. Farling said they could try a different time if Thursday at 4:00 was not convenient for the faculty.  Prof. Moses commented that it is a wonderful museum, with a lot of paintings from the Taos Society of Artists and other western art.  He asked Prof. d’Humieres to characterize the size of our collection.  Prof. d’Humieres said we have one of the best collections of Taos art in the world.  Two years ago, the museum received an additional 4,000 works of art, the Bialac collection, which is the largest collection of contemporary Native American art in the country.  These collections will provide endless possibility of study for the students, not only art students.  Further information is available at



Sooner Ally


Ms. Kathy Moxley, director of the Women’s Outreach Center, said her office provides programming for women on our campus in areas that disproportionately affect women, such as dating violence, eating disorders, and wage equity.  Another program administered by her office is the Sooner Ally faculty program, which offers training in ways to make Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) students feel safe, supported and included on campus.  Prof. John Covaleskie (Educational Leadership & Policy Studies) pointed out that he has a widget on his course management website that indicates he is an Ally.  Students can click on the widget and get information about the program.  Ms. Moxley showed a video that gave a brief overview of the program.  She said the Ally program had been in existence since 2007 and was started because of a perception gap.  LGBTQ students who come here may assume the campus is hostile.  In general, the experience of LGBTQ students is positive.  The Ally program helps bridge that gap in that it helps educate the straight community on how to be better allies and it identifies the supportive people on campus.  Training lasts three hours.  Over 500 people have gone through the training.  Together with the faculty advisory board, she realized that some specific training was needed for faculty.  Dr. Covaleskie said the faculty-specific training shifted from informational sessions to case studies, focusing on the kind of issues that the faculty is likely to face.  LGBTQ students may have to deal with hostile situations.  It is helpful for them to know if their instructors are allies.  The faculty-specific training program gives faculty the opportunity to talk with other faculty across disciplines and brainstorm about appropriate responses to situations.  At this point, the program is trying to build awareness and encourage faculty to go through the ally training.  Approximately 80 faculty members have been trained so far.  Ms. Moxley said the program needed allies, especially in the hard sciences.  It is a sense of safety, security, and acceptance when a student knows there are allies in a particular department or college.  The next faculty training is November 15.  To register, email  A regular Ally training on the Tulsa campus will be held October 12.  If it is successful, Ms. Moxley hopes to provide a faculty version in the Tulsa area.


Prof. Baer asked whether the training could be scheduled into shorter time periods.  Many instructors have difficulty fitting a three-hour training into their schedules.  Ms. Moxley said she would look at breaking the training into a two-part session or an evening or weekend session.  She noted that a regular session would be held on Sunday, November 20.  Prof. Chapple suggested a hybrid workshop with some face-to-face training and some webinar.  Ms. Moxley said she would consider that; however, the training is very interactive.  Prof. Leseney asked if the center had any materials that that could be taken out on recruitment trips or sent to prospective students.  Ms. Moxley said her office has a brochure that is LGBTQ-specific and talks about the programs on campus.



Institutional Review Board’s electronic submission system (iRis)


Ms. Donna Lewis, Compliance outreach coordinator, discussed the new electronic system (iRis) for submitting research studies to the Institutional Review Board (IRB).  The new system will make it easier to submit materials, and the turnaround time between submission and approval will be much quicker.  Instead of carrying stacks of paper to the IRB office, researchers will be able to upload their documents.  Initially, the training on iRis was going to roll out on September 20.  During testing they found some things that needed to be optimized.  She said she is hopeful the training will be held the last two weeks of October.  The system is role based and will be oriented to what a faculty member does.  The faculty will do the majority of its work in the Study Assistant section, which is very similar to the online grant application systems.  Various browsers may be used.  If a researcher wants to add a new study, the system asks basic questions and then flows to questions tailored to the researcher’s specific research.  It is an enterprise application that will work on every OU campus. 


Ms. Faustina Layne, director of the office of Human Research Participant Protection/IRB, added that the new studies submission will go on iRis first, and continuing reviews and amendments will be gradually added.  There will be different opportunities for training, not just one on one, but online and departmental training.  Ms. Lewis said faculty will be able to get hands-on instruction with computers.  The in-class sessions will be broken into two separate modules, each one two hours long.  Part one will cover new applications, how to get familiar with iRis, how to set up account information, how to customize the system, and how to do basic interactions with the system.  Part two will cover items associated with the submission life cycle, such as a continuing review, human research determination worksheet and other supplemental forms, and a review response form.  Information in parts one and two will be provided as activity packets on the website, and the training will be broadcast via video hookup.  She said she wanted to make this a smooth transition.  The Norman campus will be trained first.  When the system is ready for implementation, she will send out a notification. 


Prof. Ayres said it is difficult to find the link to the IRB from OU’s home page.  Ms. Lewis said the link to iRis will be on the IRB website, but she will try to get it in other significant places to make it easy to find.  There will be a URL for the Norman campus and one for the Health Sciences Center.  Prof. Taylor agreed that it is difficult to find the IRB page.  She suggested that the link be included on the faculty/staff page.  Prof. Griffith said it would be helpful to have it included in the list on OU’s home page.  Prof. Jean-Marie asked whether there would be a separate URL for the Tulsa faculty.  Ms. Lewis replied that the Tulsa Norman-based people will go to the Norman campus link, and the medical people will go to the Health Sciences Center link.  If someone gets confused, the system will ask questions that will send the submission to the appropriate campus.





The Faculty Senate approved the Senate Committee on Committees’ nominations to fill vacancies on university and campus councils, committees and boards (attached). 



SENATE CHAIR'S REPORT, by Prof. Georgia Kosmopoulou


“We have made an effort to provide direct representation in the Faculty Senate for each unit in the University.  If a unit has more than one faculty senator representing it, we asked that one of the additional senators accept responsibility for representing an unrepresented unit.  We have listed here the senators who will represent a unit other than their own.  Thank you for your willingness to help.

Classics & Letters: Dan Ransom, English,;

Communication:  Gus Palmer, Anthropology,;  

History:  Misha Klein, Anthropology,;  

History of Science:  Edie Marsh-Matthews, Zoology,;  

Human Relations:  Meijun Zhu, Mathematics,;  

Library & Information Studies:  Anthony Natale, Social Work,;  

Philosophy: Liz Bergey, Zoology,;  

Political Science:  Tom Burns, Sociology,;

Physics & Astronomy:  Donna Nelson, Chemistry & Biochemistry,


“We started looking into some of the issues that were brought up by members of the Senate this year.  Some of them are taken to our standing committees.  For example the faculty compensation committee is looking into the issue of compression/inversion; the faculty welfare committee is discussing benefits and long-term parking issues.


“There was one issue on parking that required immediate attention, and that was related to parking at Sarkeys on game days. For the remainder of this season the parking in the A3 lot that is located south of Sarkeys will be open for faculty members who are coming for work on game days, on a first-come-first-served basis, as long as they show a current parking permit.  On the parking website there is a map that shows the lots that are opened to faculty and staff members on game days.  The link to the map is: 


“The Senate executive committee met this past week with Loretta Early, the Interim Vice President for Information Technology (IT), and with representatives from WebComm, the Technical Project Manager for oZone and the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Financial Services to talk about IT and oZone and bring to their attention faculty concerns.  Here is a link to the OUIT site that might provide some useful information about how to contact OUIT and get help:  For technical information, please contact Eddie Huebsch, Assistant Vice President, Technology Advancement,  For concerns about the design and layout of the oZone login and information pages, contact Lindsey Johnson, Designer,  In addition, the Information Technology Council and Loretta Early met and decided on a work plan for the three focus areas for the year, namely, oZONE issues, Research Support and Classroom Technology, such as lecture capture.


“I was asked about the current policy on computer scans by a member of the Senate and received the following information from IT.  There is a University policy that departments must get approval to store sensitive or personally identifiable information (PII) on their computers, such as social security numbers (SSNs) or financial information, such as credit card or bank routing numbers.  IT offers a “Seek-N-Secure” service to any department that requests assistance in determining whether this type of information is stored on their departmental computers.  Results of the search that will take place under “Seek-N-Secure” are shared only with the department’s designated authority. If there are character patterns that indicate the presence of data, such as SSNs, the department can request further review and additional efforts to secure the data.  IT does not capture or store the information, nor do they delete or quarantine data from a departmental or user’s system.  If a department suffers a security breach, IT will work closely with the department and their departmental IT staff, if any, to assist them with incident notification and remediation.


“On the tobacco free campus issue, Prof. Scott Moses, the chair of the faculty welfare committee, and I wrote a letter to the editor of the Oklahoma Daily on September 16 saying we were pleased to see that the University of Oklahoma as a community is having a serious discussion about smoking on our campus.  We reiterated the fact that the Faculty Senate passed a resolution in March 2010, with an expanded wellness resolution in May 2011 supporting the decision to become a smoke/tobacco free campus. We continue to support this initiative, of course implemented in a way that will address special circumstances.


“Finally, I have an announcement that came in late after we circulated the agenda:  On Thursday, October 13, Katie Barwick-Snell and Ginger Elliott Teague will host a drop-in lunch discussion focusing on work-life balance.  Discussion will begin at 11:30.”





The meeting adjourned at 4:52 p.m.  The next regular session of the Faculty Senate will be held at 3:30 p.m. on Monday, November 14, 2011, in Jacobson Faculty Hall 102.


Sonya Fallgatter, Administrative Coordinator


Fran Ayres, Faculty Secretary