A&GS Mission and Vision
The Mission of the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences is to provide a world-class academic experience that promotes innovation and research, leading to advanced education and exciting careers in geography, environmental sustainability, meteorology, climate, geographic information science, and global environmental concerns.
10-Year Vision for the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences:
The College's faculty, staff, students and graduates are internationally recognized for their contributions to the knowledge of the environmental systems that manifest in weather and climate, the interdependencies between societies and their natural environments, and the transition to a sustainable civilization.
Guiding Values for the College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences:
- People - A professional community of talented, productive faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences that contribute to an integrated understanding of environmental systems.
- Collegiality - Open and honest communication, coordination, and collaboration among the College's faculty, staff, and students, with an emphasis on fostering mutual benefit;
- Synergy - College-level strategic goals, planning, and support services that are in balance with the vision, mission, goals, constraints, and aspirations of each of its academic, research, and outreach programs, such that the whole is always greater than the sum of the parts;
- Education - Innovative undergraduate and graduate education programs to nurture a fundamental and holistic understanding of the environmental systems that are strategically important to society at present and in the future;
- Teaching - Rigorous and authentic instructional approaches that foster critical thinking, creativity, quantitative problem solving skills, collaborations, and lifelong learning both inside and outside the University community.
- Research and Scholarship - Outstanding and leading-edge research and scholarship that address environmental and societal challenges of regional and global significance in geography, geoinformatics, and atmospheric science; and
- Extension and Outreach - Information and technical applications, training, and professional development, and economic opportunities that benefit the University, commercial and government partners, disciplinary science communities, and society.