(Click on the image thumbnails for full sized images)|
Internationally acclaimed organist and technician, Clark Wilson donated the 2/6 Robert Morton to the American Organ Institute. Pictured above is the console awaiting restoration. This instrument is in storage until Opus 5819 is restored at which time the Morton will be restored and installed in one of the University's practice rooms for student use and teaching. Robert Morton was the number two theatre organ builder with nearly 900 instruments to their credit (Wurlitzer was largest builder with nearly 2,100 instruments). M.P. Moller at 4th largest, (Kimball was 3rd largest with 650 theatre organs), produced slightly less than 600 theatre organs and over 11,000 pipe organs of all designs before closing in 1992 after 117 years in business. Robert Morton was located in Van Nuys, California and is perhaps best remembered for their ornately impressive four-manual 'Wonder Morton Theatre Organs' installed in Loew's Theaters around New York City.
Stored in the crates are the six ranks of pipes for the Robert Morton. Resting on top of the crates are the manual chests for the instrument. The design of the Morton windchest was unique with only three moving parts ~ the magnet armature, leather pouch and valve, and the valve spring.
Pictured at the left is the bass drum and shade engines for the Morton sitting on crates containing more Morton support lumber, windlines, and sound effects. Built in late 1928 and early 1929, this instrument was first installed in the Bluebird Theatre in New York. It was the typical Morton installation with the Tibia, Violin, and Vox Humana in the Solo (theater right side chamber). The Trumpet, Diapason, and Kinura were in the Main (left chamber). It must have been repossessed by the factory because it became a one chamber installation in the LA mansion of the Van Camp pork and beans family. It is said that Mrs. Van Camp would play "Come to Jesus" every Sunday on it. For the Van Camp reinstallation there were unification changes including the addition of a Vibratone attachment. A Saxophone replaced the Trumpet and a Concert Flute replaced the Kinura. The instrument was removed in the late 1990s.