Student Employment Opportunities
Student opportunities will be posted as available.
Municipal Planner - TRANSPORTATION (Planning & Development)
Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development
Deadline to apply is May 15, 2018
Full posting: https://bit.ly/2KrScUj
|Branch:||125 N. Main Street|
|Location:||Memphis, TN 38103|
|Department:||Planning & Development|
|Closes On:||May 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM CST|
|Rate of Pay:||$3,694.58 Monthly - Salary Commensurate with Experience and Education|
|Details:||Job Posting #18-30627|
Works under general supervision of the Memphis MPO Coordinator to assist in the development and implementation of transportation planning programs in the Memphis region. Works closely with public transportation providers, local governments, social service agencies, advocacy groups, and local communities to implement public transportation projects funded through federal programs for the general public.
Pay Grade: 51
1. Two (2) years of experience in transportation, planning, or urban planning; and graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree; OR
2. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree in transportation or urban planning, engineering, environmental science, economics, geography, or closely related field.
3. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepares and coordinates Metropolitan Planning Organization functions, long range transportation planning, land use planning, bike ped planning, transit planning, freight planning, travel demand forecasting (TransCAD), GIS analysis (GIS ArcView 10.3).
2. Leads assigned planning team staff on individual planning projects and develops and presents technical information to a wide variety of audiences as related to transportation planning.
3. Collects, analyzes, and interprets social and statistical data for various planning and area studies as related to transportation planning.
4. Prepares maps, charts, models, sketches, and other graphic and visual presentations to illustrate study findings.
5. Attends and conducts MPO planning meetings and responds to public inquiries in person, on the phone, or in writing.
6. Coordinates the implementation of planning projects and manage transportation monitoring databases, i.e. public policy, planning strategies and legislations related to regional planning.
7. Prepares summaries, narrative statements, and analyses of the pertinent technical facts reported in project studies.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|KSAs and Others -
1. Ability to work with relational database & spreadsheet software, (ArcGIS, MS Office, Sketch up, Adobe software).
2. Knowledge of channels to use in obtaining and disseminating information.
3. Ability to develop a plan and work schedule for assigned projects and to implement projects and manage transportation monitoring databases.
4. Ability to evaluate planning projects for technical validity and prepare analytical reports.
5. Ability to explain technical data to a variety of audiences.
6. Knowledge of statistics, and research procedures and sources.
7. Consensus-building, as well as, strong written and oral communication skills necessary.
PROFESSIONAL INTERN (PART-TIME/YEAR ROUND)
CITY OF OKLAHOMA CITY
This position is located in the Planning and Urban Design Division of the Planning Department with the City of Oklahoma City and is used for training purposes in the field of public administration and in the specific operation of City departments. The position is responsible for providing standard research and administrative and/or technical support to an assigned City department. This position will be primarily focused on research and analysis for the creation of a City-Wide Historic Preservation Plan and development of a related Historic Resources Inventory, including review and update of survey information, analysis of previous and existing plans, and development of concepts, priorities, and recommendations for the Plan. Typical duties include: performing a wide variety of administrative, project-related, department-specific, and/or financial assignments to assist a City department or division. This position may also be utilized for students and interns working part-time on special projects while completing advanced degree programs.