La Pré à Eragny (The Meadow at Eragny),
Oil on canvas
25 3/4 x 32 in.
The Aaron M. and Clara Weitzenhoffer Collection, 2000
In 1884, Pissarro moved to Eragny-sur-Epte,
a tiny village approximately 60 miles north of Paris where the artist
spent most of the remainder of his life. The meadow depicted in
the present work was outside Pissarro's studio, located in a converted
barn. On the hillside, less than two miles away, is the neighboring
village of Bazincourt.
During the 1890s, Pissarro returned
to an Impressionist style, as seen in Le Pre a Eragny, which
depicts the fleeting light and guises of nature with a freedom of
brushwork. [For Neo-Impressionism, which occupied Pissarro during
the late 1880s, see Pissarros
Bergère rentrant des moutons (Shepherdess Bringing