O*NET is free online database that contains hundreds of occupational definitions to help students, job seekers, businesses and workforce development professionals to understand today's world of work in the United States.
Career Services is proud to offer students, alumni, faculty and staff a variety of online career-related resources. We strive to provide our constituents with all they need to be successful. Check out all the free resources available to you below.
To access these resources, follow the links below and login to your Handshake account using your OU single sign in.
Job Search Tools
CareerShift was created to help job seekers successfully navigate the published and hidden job market to find career opportunities. With CareerShift, you can:
- Search, select and store job listings from all job boards and all company job postings
- Get up-to-date contact information, including e-mail addresses, for millions of companies
- Access in-depth information about contacts and companies posting jobs
- Record, save and store your correspondence history records automatically
- Create personal marketing campaigns, including unlimited resumes and cover letters easily, and save them to access, print or e-mail
- Manage your confidential CareerShift account securely from any computer 24/7, to update & maintain your organized and recorded job search
OptimalResume is a comprehensive, web-based program which allows current OU students to view sample résumés and create their own. This interactive system provides a résumé builder where students can use draw from examples and templates to create a high quality résumé.
Making an excellent first impression is essential for a strong interview. This includes your appearance, your professionalism, and, most importantly, how you articulate your experiences.
Who really gets the job? The best qualified? The smartest candidate? Not necessarily! Most of the time, it's the person who is able to best sell his or her skills to employers in a professional and effective manner. Before heading into your next interview, spend 30 minutes using the newest technology in interviewing: OptimalInterview!
Record yourself answering interview questions and share your videos to get feedback from professionals. This tool also allows you to explore what questions you could be asked and offers tips on how to answer questions from an automated career coach. If you don't have a webcam we have webcams available for you to check out and use at home.
Whether you’re exploring majors or searching for information about your chosen field, this website will help you connect majors to careers. Learn about typical career areas and types of employers that hire people with each major, as well as strategies to make you a more marketable candidate.
Whether you're looking for full-time or part-time, seasonal or year round, paid or volunteer, ARTSEARCH makes your job search easy.
- Create email alerts based on your customized searches and be the first to know when the perfect job appears
- Focus on essential details like salary range and company info with expanded job profiles
- Save multiple searches in your profile for each of your interests
- Navigate hundreds of opportunities more easily with improved search functionality
GoinGlobal offers career guides and a global key employer directory, both of which are updated continually. This massive research tool contains more than 10,000 resources for finding employment in the US and abroad. Developed by a worldwide team of career specialists, each country covers job search resources, employment opportunities and trends, business resources and networking groups, work permits and visa regulations, cost of living and compensation information and much more.
GoinGlobalUSA contains career and employment resources for the 40 largest metropolitan areas in the USA. Included in this database are: job search resources, employment outlook, professional networking groups, cost of living, major employer listings by industry sector, non-profits and volunteer opportunities. H1B employer listings are also listed for all 50 states!
The University of Oklahoma's Passport Career tool provides job/internship search strategies, guidance and resources for 75+ countries (250+ cities.) It includes a robust database of job/intern opportunities, an H1b database of U.S. employers, and country-by-country portfolios of key content and resources to help you with your career/job/internship interests around the world as well as across the USA.
The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a publication of the United States Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics that includes information about the nature of work, working conditions, training and education, earnings and job outlook for hundreds of different occupations in the United States. It is released biennially and is available free of charge from the Bureau of Labor Statistic's website.
FOCUS2 is a self-paced, online career guidance tool used to assist you in self-assessment and career exploration. Users of FOCUS2 learn to make more realistic decisions about their goals and plans, how to self-manage their careers and the importance of adaptability in these times of change.
- Analyze your career planning status
- Self-assess your interests
- Explore and analyze occupations based on your interests and work values
- Explore and analyze occupations based on educational areas of study, education, training, and skills
- Explore and analyze occupations based on personality and life values
- Explore and analyze occupations based on leisure activities
- Search for and analyze occupations based on your skills
- Find information for a specific occupation by comparing two occupations side by side