The Deer Creek/Bryson Paddock Sites
Sometime in the mid-1700's Wichita villagers set up
a cooperative agreement with French hunters from Louisiana at the
Deer Creek site, northeast of Newkirk along the banks of the Arkansas
River. Another Wichita site, now known as the Bryson-Paddock site,
was occupied at the same time and is only 1 3/4 miles upstream.
The French were interested in horses and hunting partners which
the Wichita could supply. In exchange, the Wichita wanted European
trade goods like guns and metal tools.
By 1758, the arrangement between the Wichita and French at Deer
Creek/Bryson Paddock had ended. The Wichita migrated south to another
fortified site along the Red River. Whether pressure from the Osage,
a lack of trade goods from the French because of the French and
Indian War, or other factors caused this migration is not yet known.
Research on this period in Oklahoma history continues.
Visit the Wichita
and Affiliated Tribes website.
For further reading, consult:
The Deer Creek Site, Oklahoma: A Wichita Village Sometimes Called
Ferdinandina, An Ethnohistorian's View by Mildred Mott Wedel
(Oklahoma Historical Society, Series in Anthropology, Number
Archaeological Investigations at the Bryson-Paddock Site, An
Early Contact Period Site on the Southern Plains by John D.
Hartley and A.F. Miller (Oklahoma River Basin Survey, Archaeological
Site Report No. 32, 1977).
"Ka-3, The Deer Creek Site - An Eighteenth Century French Contact
Site in Kay County, Oklahoma" by Byron Sudbury (in Bulletin
of the Oklahoma Anthropological Society, Volume XXIV, ed. Don
G. Wyckoff, 1975).
Storms Brewed in Other Men's Worlds: The Confrontation of Indians,
Spanish, and French in the Southwest, 1540-1795 by Elizabeth
A. H. John (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1975).