Karen C. Meysick
Bacterial Toxins, Microbial Pathogenesis, Pathogenic Microbiology
Ph.D. Dept. of Microbiology & Immunology, University of Ottawa, Canada 1996
M.Sc. Dept. of Microbiology & Immunology, University of Ottawa, Canada 1989
B.Sc. Dept. of Biology, University of Windsor, Canada 1987
Visiting Scientist; Laboratory of Respiratory and Special Pathogens; Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research; Food & Drug Administration (FDA) 2002-2009
Adjunct Assistant Professor; Dept. of Microbiology & Immunology; Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences 2003-2009
Research Assistant Professor; Dept. of Microbiology & Immunology; Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences 2000-2002
Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Microbiology & Immunology, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (Dr. Alison O達rien mentor) 1996-2000
Member of the American Society of Microbiology
Member of the editorial board of Infection & Immunity
- Madore, D.V., B.D. Meade, F. Rubin, C. Deal, F. Lynn and Meeting Contributors. 2010. Utilization of serological assays to support efficacy of vaccines in nonclinical and clinical trials: meeting at the crossroads. Vaccine 28(29):4539-4547.
- Meysick, K.C., J. Seidman, and J.R. Falconio. 2009. The Yersinia pseudotuberculosis YplA phospholipase differs in its activity, regulation and secretion from that of the Yersinia enterocolitica YplA. Microbial Pathogenesis 47(1):24-32.
- Grande, K.K., K.C. Meysick, S.B. Rasmussen and A.D. O達rien. 2009. Cytotoxic necrotizing factor type 1 (CNF1)- neutralizing monoclonal antibody NG8 recognizes three amino acids in a C-terminal region of the toxin and reduces toxin binding to Hep-2 cells. Infection and Immunity 77(1):170-179.
- McNichol, B.A., S.B. Rasmussen, H.M. Carvalho, K.C. Meysick and A. D. O達rien. 2007. Two domains of cytotoxic necrotizing factor type 1 bind the cellular receptor, laminin receptor precursor protein. Infection and Immunity 75(11):5095-5104.
- McNichol, B.A., S.B. Rasmussen, K.C. Meysick and A.D. O達rien. 2006. A single amino acid substitution in the enzymatic domain of cytotoxic necrotizing factor type 1 of Escherichia coli alters the tissue culture phenotype to that of the dermonecrotic toxin of Bordetella spp.. Molecular Microbiology 60(4):939-950.
- Woods, J.B., C.K. Schmitt, S.C. Darnell, K.C. Meysick and A.D. O達rien. 2002. Ferrets as a model system for renal disease secondary to intestinal infection with Escherichia coli O157:H7 and other Shiga toxin-producing E. coli. Journal of Infectious Diseases 185(4):550-554.
- Meysick, K.C., M. Mills and A.D. O達rien. 2001. Epitope mapping of monoclonal antibodies capable of neutralizing cytotoxic necrotizing factor type 1 of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Infection and Immunity 69(4):2066-2074.
- Mills, M., K.C. Meysick and A.D. O達rien. 2000. Cytotoxic necrotizing factor type 1 of uropathogenic Escherichia coli kills cultured human uroepithelial 5637 cells by an apoptotic mechanism. Infection and Immunity 68(10):5869-5880.
- Meysick, K.C., K.D. Dimock and G.E. Garber. 1996. Molecular characterization and expression of a N-acetylneuraminate lyase from Trichomonas vaginalis. Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology 76:289-292.
- Schmitt, C. K., K.C. Meysick and A.D. O達rien. 1999. Bacterial Toxins: Friends or Foes. Emerging Infectious Diseases 5(2):224-234. (invited article)
- Meysick, K.C. and G.E. Garber. 1995. Trichomonas vaginalis. Current Opinion in Infectious Disease 8:22-25. (invited article)
For more information about degree programs, contact the Department or Dr. Karen Meysick.
Other related web pages: