Statement of Goals for the Department of Classics & Letters
To build on the strength and reputation for excellence that the department has enjoyed since the earliest history of the University of Oklahoma, our goals are:
- To advance scholarship in the humanities through research, presentations, publication, and creative activity.
- To support and promote the university's educational mission by creating and offering courses not only in the College of Arts & Sciences' general education program, but also in specialized areas of study in support of the department's major and minor programs.
- To promote wider interest in the humanities through public lectures, presentations, and other outreach events.
- Develop introductory courses in both Classical culture and Letters.
- Maintain or increase enrollment in all levels of Greek and Latin instruction.
- Establish and implement an objective means of assessing the annual progress of the department and its students.
- Collaborate with the College of Education to create clear paths to teacher certification and continuing education, particularly in Latin.
- Develop appropriate courses for online instruction.
- Recruit students into all of our degree programs.
- Identify and cultivate external resources for enhancing faculty development.
- Strengthen library holdings in both print and digital humanities resources.
- Buttress the department's reputation at the regional and national levels by increasing faculty participation in professional organizations.
- Uphold and enhance the department's reputation for excellence in undergraduate advising.
- Increase scholarship funds for Classics and Letters students.
- Bolster relationships with secondary school teachers (particularly in Latin) and other communities outside the university.
- Seek the best replacements possible for any positions that might become vacant.
- Cultivate a network of alumni to serve as role models and mentors for our current students and recent graduates.
- Support the initiative of the College of Arts and Sciences to promote the hiring of liberal arts majors.
- Continue to build a sense of community for our students, faculty, and staff.