Department of Economics Undergraduate Academic Advising


Scott Mahaney 1An academic adviser is a connecting point and guide that helps students avoid the pit falls while in college. The Department of Economics at the University of Oklahoma has a student affairs staff member with whom you meet to discuss your academic program and career/life goals -- but the students need to take the initiative.


You should see your advisor when you have questions about your academic plan and before registration. In fact, as a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, you are required to meet with your advisor before you can enroll in any courses.  In the Department of Economics, the advisor has office hours from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday – Friday. 

The academic advisor also assists students with academic planning, degree requirements, and setting educational and career goals. They provide information on rules and regulations, graduation requirements, transfer issues, study abroad and other co-curricular opportunities, class scheduling and life after graduation. They also have information on all types of campus resources that will help you be successful during your collegiate career.

Scott Mahaney 2An academic advisor directly advises students but also has other responsibilities such as updating student records, recruitment, program coordination, advising student groups, preparation of printed material, and participation on campus/departmental committees.

The Economics advisor has a good bit of time available for meeting with individual students.  However, because of other commitments, he, too, will be unavailable at some times. Making an appointment or checking walk-in hours will limit your frustration.

When contacting the advisor via email please include your student identification number with any course and sections numbers.


Requirements for a B.A. in Economics (College of Art and Sciences)

Requirements for a minor in Economics

Academic Calander
Please pay close attention to add/drop dates and the deadline to file for graduation.

Academic Misconduct
All undergraduate students are expected to be familiar with what constitutes academic misconduct. Misconduct or plagiarism in the writing of any paper is a very serious offense and will be punished accordingly. For information about what constitutes misconduct and plagiarism as well as the University’s procedures for academic misconduct, click here.

Attendance Policy
The Economics department reserves the right to drop students from Economics courses for non-attendance during the fist week of classes or failure to meet course prerequisites. Students who wish to drop Economics courses after enrollment still have the responsibility for the drop. This means that the student cannot quit going to class and assume that he/she has been dropped from the course. Assuming you have been dropped from a course can lead to a failing grade.

Math transfer course work and Economics
Math transfer courses below the Calculus level are not acceptable pre-requisites for Ou Economics courses. Any students transferring pre-calculus courses to Ou and wish to take Economics courses must attain a satisfactory score on the Math placement test offered by the Assessment and Learning Center of University College. Once the student has attained a satisfactory score on the Math placement test the student will need to contact the Economics department’s academic counselor for Electronic Special Permission to the desired Economics course or courses. Student transferring Calculus I or higher can waive the placement test and receive Electronic Special Permission to Ou Economics courses. 

Capstone Course
As students are advised, a copy of their advisement form is put into a bin.  After grades are posted for the term in which they completed their advising session, the advisor will review the student's course work to make sure those students meet the prerequisites for Econ 4983.  This means the student has successfully completed Econ 1113, 1123, 2843, 3113 and 3133 with a grade of “C” or higher.  The advisor then eliminates the students that did not successfully complete the prerequisites. Then the advisor determines who will actually be able to complete their degree in the semester that the electronic special permission (ESP) is requested.  Students that will complete their degree and have met the prerequisites get the first ESPs. If there are open seats after that, students that meet the prerequisites are able to enroll in the course.

Ex:  Johnny is advised in spring 2007 and is planning to graduate in summer 2007.

  • I check his grades.  Did he meet the prerequisites?  If yes, then he moves on to the next round.  If no, he will not receive the ESP.
  • Is Johnny actually going to graduate in that term?    Will he need an additional term to complete ALL his required course work?  If no, then ESP is posted.  If yes, then Johnny will be able to enroll in the capstone once those preparing to graduate have been granted ESP.

Independent study and individual research courses (directed readings, Econ 3880) are NOT suitable as substitutions for regular capstone courses. The Economics Capstone course MUST be completed at the University of Oklahoma.

Correspondence Courses/Independent Study
College of Arts and Sciences students who have earned at least 100 credit hours and are currently enrolled in courses on the Norman campus may not enroll in Independent Study classes.

Graduation Checks
Although you are required to see the academic advisor before each course registration period, it is also important to have a graduation check. An advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences will review your course work to certify your graduation status once you have earned 90 credit hours. You can set up an appointment by following the this link: I ADVISE

If you have questions or would like further information, please contact our undergraduate advisor. When contacting the advisor via email please include your student identification number with any course and sections numbers.


Scott L. Mahaney, M. Ed.
Undergraduate Academic Counselor
729 Elm Avenue
215 Hester Hall
Norman, OK 73019
Phone: (405) 325-4307
Fax: (405)325-5842

Cynthia Rogers, PhD.
Graduate Academic Counselor
729 Elm Avenue
328 Hester Hall
Norman, OK 73019
Phone: (405) 325-5843
Fax: (405) 325-5842



| disclaimer