1997 – PhD, History; University of Kansas
(fields: Modern & Colonial Latin America, American West, Environmental Hist.)
1992 – MA., Latin American Studies; University of Kansas
1981 – BA with Honors; Anderson University (Indiana)
2009--: Professor, and Louise Welsh Chair in Oklahoma, Southern Plains and Borderlands
History, University of Oklahoma; Norman, OK
2005 - 2009: Assoc. Professor and Canada Research Chair in History; Brandon University;
1998-2005: Assis./Assoc. Professor of History; Humboldt State Univ.; Arcata, CA
1997-1998: Sessional Professor of History; University of Alberta; Edmonton, AB
1992-1996: Assistant Instructor; University of Kansas; Lawrence, KS
- Damming Sonora: An Environmental and Transnational History of Water, Agriculture, and Society in Northwest Mexico, Tucson: University of Arizona Press, forthcoming.
-Bound in Twine: The History and Ecology of the Henequen-Wheat Complex for Yucatán and the American and Canadian Plains, 1880-1950, College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2007 (306 pages).
-The Green Republic: A Conservation History of Costa Rica, Austin: University of Texas Press, 1999 (317 pages).
-The Borderlands of the American and Canadian Wests: Essays on
Regional History of the 49th Parallel, Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 2006 (386 pages).
- American Indians in American History, 1870-2001: A Companion Reader, Westport, CT: Praeger, 2002 (249 pages).
: in - Latin American Research Review - Journal of the Southwest - Kansas History
- North Dakota History - South Dakota History - Agricultural History -Signos Históricos
- Journal of the West - Radical History Review - Environment and History (forthcoming)
in - Encyclopedia of World Environmental History
- Encyclopedia of American Environmental History
in - Env. History - Agricultural History - Histoire Sociale -AHR -WHQ
- Environmental Conservation - Canadian Journal of History - JAEH -South Dakota Hist. - Montana
- Idaho Yesteryears -American Studies - Canadian Journal of Native Studies - H-AmIndian
- Great Plains Research - Am. Rev. Canadian Studies - North Dakota Hist. – Jrnl. of Colonialism -HAHR
: - Badlands!: A Landscape History of the Badlands of the North Am. West