What is Kappa Gamma Epsilon?
Kappa Gamma Epsilon is the Modern Language Honor Society at the University of Oklahoma. Open to both undergraduate and graduate students, KGE fosters scholarship in the modern languages through the organization of various lectures and social events throughout the academic year. Our organization also encourages the presentation of scholarly research and believes strongly in peer learning opportunities through participation in departmental mini-conferences. In addition, KGE works hard to raise scholarship money for students studying modern languages.
Kappa Gamma Epsilon grew out of the Modern Language Club, founded in 1920 at OU.
On November 5, 1923, Kappa Gamma Epsilon was recognized by the Modern Language Society.
To foster high ideals in scholarhip in Modern Languages.
- The student applying must be majoring or minoring in a modern language, with a GPA of at least 3.5 in his or her language classes.
- Undergraduate students must have completed no less than 74 hours of academic credit, of which 25 hours must be in one modern language, with a minimum of 5 hours in the Department of Modern Languages, Literatures and Linguistics at the University of Oklahoma. The general scholastic average must be at least 3.0.
- Graduate students in languages are eligible to join during any semester as long as they maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher.
- Faculty members are encouraged to join and participate in lectures and social events throughout the year, as they are automatically members.
KGE Application (docx)
Current KGE Officers
- Professional Development Workshop Series: This event consists of four to five lectures given by members of the faculty and outside speakers in the fall semester. It is intended to help graduate students in their professional development such as grant writing, job applications, and more.
- The KGE Annual Research Day: This event take places every spring for a panel of students to present their research to the faculty, their peers and the general public.
- Additionally, we support the Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics Annual Scholarships Awards Reception by helping organize and run the event.
In Spring 2016, KGE received a France on Campus Grant to sponsor a French Film Festival that coincided with the Puterbaugh Festival honoring writer Alain Mabanckou. Check out our project proposal video below!