German Lecturer and Coordinator
The University of Oklahoma seeks a highly qualified and diverse applicant pool for a five-year renewable term lectureship in German studies to start August 2019. The successful applicant will coordinate first- and second-year German language instruction, perform some service within the department, and teach six courses per year across the German curriculum, including both language skills courses and advanced literature seminars in post-War or contemporary German literature and culture. The candidate should also be open to joining a rotation of faculty members leading students to Leipzig, Germany as part of our annual summer program.
Our new colleague will join a thriving German program with motivated and appreciative students, a collegial and supportive work environment, and a dynamic campus-wide German Studies community. The University of Oklahoma (OU) is a Carnegie-R1 comprehensive public research university known for excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement. Norman is a vibrant college town located just outside Oklahoma City, and offering outstanding schools, many cultural amenities, and a low cost of living.
- PhD in hand at the time of application.
- Demonstrated expertise in 1945- present and/ or contemporary literature and culture.
- Evidence of teaching excellence, including at least one year of college or university level German teaching experience post-PhD.
- Native or near-native fluency in German.
- Record of professionalism and collegiality.
- Experience coordinating a language program.
- A working knowledge of recent developments in the field of secondary language acquisition (SLA).
- Experience with Business German, German for the professions, German for STEM disciplines, and other distinctive or innovative curricular or program-building approaches.
* Review of complete applications will begin February 1, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Note: there is no online application for this position.
* Send all application materials with the subject line “German Coordinator Application” via email to M3Lservices@ou.edu. Letters of recommendation should be sent under separate cover.
- A 1- to 2-page cover letter detailing how the candidate’s experience meets the job requirements.
- Curriculum vitae.
- PhD transcripts.
- Teaching portfolio, which may contain peer teaching evaluations, student-teacher evaluations, statement of teaching philosophy, sample syllabi, or other teaching materials.
- Three letters of recommendation under separate cover. At least one letter must be from a current or former teaching supervisor. All recommenders must have direct experience with the candidate’s teaching, leadership, and/or supervisory abilities.
Hiring is contingent upon a background check, funding, and proper immigration status for International Instructors. The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures (www.ou.edu/eoo). For information about the department, please visit www.ou.edu/cas/modlang.
One-year Instructor/Lecturer Positions in Spanish (eligible for re-appointment) University of Oklahoma, Norman OK
We invite highly qualified applicants to submit materials to be considered to join a thriving and successful Spanish language program of nearly 100 majors and 500 minors in a vibrant university town. Norman, Oklahoma, the home of our flagship university, has been ranked the 6th best small city in the United States by CNN Money Magazine and offers a wide variety of activities in the arts and athletics. The Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics at the University of Oklahoma invites applications for full-time, one-year positions in Spanish for the 2019-20 academic year, with a possibility of reappointment contingent upon excellent performance and adequate enrollments. Start date is August 16, 2019 (arrival in Norman, Oklahoma in July to complete new hire paperwork) through May 15, 2020. Duties include teaching three or four Spanish language courses per semester (minimum of 22- 26 credit hours per year). Instructors will attend all meetings and workshops related to lower-division Spanish and complete tasks (such as participation in preparing some course materials and holding office hours) for the section as required. The position, which comes with full benefits, pays $35,000 for candidates with an MA and $40,000 for candidates with a PhD. See cost of living calculator to determine salary value in Norman, Oklahoma vis-à-vis other US cities: . For information about the department, please visit http://modlang.http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-ofliving/ou.edu/. Minimum Requirements: M.A. degree in Spanish, Spanish Linguistics, Foreign Language Pedagogy or Education, Second Language Acquisition, or a related field that provides expertise in language teaching and learning; experience teaching Spanish language to English-speaking students at the college level; native or near-native fluency in Spanish; and excellent command of English. Apart from the minimum requirements, candidates with experience teaching Spanish for the professions or translation studies are encouraged to apply. Instructions to apply (priority deadline April 15, 2019; applications will received and considered until the positions are filled) Include in application: • A brief cover letter detailing how the candidate meets the minimum requirements above. • Curriculum vitae or resume. • MA (and PhD if applicable) transcripts. • Minimum of 2 full sets of recent teaching evaluations. • Three letters of recommendation under separate cover from former supervisors and/or professionals in the field. • Please send completed application in a single email to: Dr. Bruce A. Boggs, Chair of Spanish Section Search Committee, M3LServices@ou.edu, with the exception of the letters of recommendation under separate cover. • Please use “Spanish Instructor Application” in subject line of email; recommenders may use “Spanish Instructor Letter” in email. Review of complete applications will begin immediately and will continue until positions are filled. Hiring is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity institution www.ou.edu/eeo, and in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, and educational services.