German Lecturer and Coordinator
The University of Oklahoma seeks a highly qualified and diverse applicant pool for a five-year renewable term lectureship in German studies to start August 2019. The successful applicant will coordinate first- and second-year German language instruction, perform some service within the department, and teach six courses per year across the German curriculum, including both language skills courses and advanced literature seminars in post-War or contemporary German literature and culture. The candidate should also be open to joining a rotation of faculty members leading students to Leipzig, Germany as part of our annual summer program.
Our new colleague will join a thriving German program with motivated and appreciative students, a collegial and supportive work environment, and a dynamic campus-wide German Studies community. The University of Oklahoma (OU) is a Carnegie-R1 comprehensive public research university known for excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement. Norman is a vibrant college town located just outside Oklahoma City, and offering outstanding schools, many cultural amenities, and a low cost of living.
- PhD in hand at the time of application.
- Demonstrated expertise in 1945- present and/ or contemporary literature and culture.
- Evidence of teaching excellence, including at least one year of college or university level German teaching experience post-PhD.
- Native or near-native fluency in German.
- Record of professionalism and collegiality.
- Experience coordinating a language program.
- A working knowledge of recent developments in the field of secondary language acquisition (SLA).
- Experience with Business German, German for the professions, German for STEM disciplines, and other distinctive or innovative curricular or program-building approaches.
* Review of complete applications will begin February 1, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Note: there is no online application for this position.
* Send all application materials with the subject line “German Coordinator Application” via email to M3Lservices@ou.edu. Letters of recommendation should be sent under separate cover.
- A 1- to 2-page cover letter detailing how the candidate’s experience meets the job requirements.
- Curriculum vitae.
- PhD transcripts.
- Teaching portfolio, which may contain peer teaching evaluations, student-teacher evaluations, statement of teaching philosophy, sample syllabi, or other teaching materials.
- Three letters of recommendation under separate cover. At least one letter must be from a current or former teaching supervisor. All recommenders must have direct experience with the candidate’s teaching, leadership, and/or supervisory abilities.
Hiring is contingent upon a background check, funding, and proper immigration status for International Instructors. The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures (www.ou.edu/eoo). For information about the department, please visit www.ou.edu/cas/modlang.