The Bachelor of Arts/Master of Public Administration Accelerated Program is designed for exceptional students who wish to earn both the BA and MPA in five years of study. Both Political Science and Public Affairs and Administration majors are eligible for the accelerated program.
Accelerated Bachelor of Arts and Master of Public Admin. Program (BA/MPA)
Our Program Objectives
Many students who are considering careers in public service, along with other career options, would be prepared to enter the job market with an advanced degree. Similar programs at other institutions have reported great success in attracting top students and believe that more of their graduates have entered public service because of their experiences in the five-year program.
Both accelerated programs allow students to continue making progress toward graduation in a timely manner and decreases the total amount of time required to earn a masters degree. Additionally, many students enter the university with a large number of Advanced Placement hours but have four-five years of funding (i.e. National Merit Scholars). The accelerated programs allow students to complete both an undergraduate and graduate degree in a maximum of five years.
OU attracts many of the best and brightest students in the state, region, and nation, and our undergraduate curriculum does an excellent job of giving these students a strong foundation in liberal arts, critical thinking, global awareness, and analytical skills. This five-year program will allow students to couple their broad undergraduate training with a more focused, practitioner-oriented skill set that will make them more competitive in the job market and even more skilled when entering the workforce. Our core curriculum requires students to build a portfolio of experience in managing organizations, problem solving, evaluating programs, financial management, statistical expertise, and a more advanced understanding of the ways in which the political environment influences public and nonprofit organizations.
- Students are expected to apply to the BA/MPA accelerated program no later than the first semester of their junior year. Prospective students who do not meet the application deadline will be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis.
- Students must have a minimum 3.50 overall undergraduate GPA for admission.
- Once admitted, students must maintain a minimum 3.0 graduate GPA and overall 3.0 GPA.
- Students are not expected to submit GRE scores as a requirement admission to the program since undergraduate credit fulfillment at the University of Oklahoma will provide information sufficient to judge aptitude and preparation for the MPA program.
- Students who are not able to successfully complete the accelerated degree program must submit a request for an extension detailing the unusual circumstances justifying the delay in degree completion.
Although the program is open to all OU students who qualify, National Merit Scholars are the ideal candidates for a five-year accelerated BA/MPA program.
Complete Your Application
- Application Form
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages)
- Official or Unofficial OU Transcript
- Students must have a minimum 3.5 Overall GPA for admission
- No GRE Required
- Students are expected to apply to the BA/MPA accelerated program no later than the first semester of their junior year. Application by the second semester of the sophomore year is preferred.
Fall: April 15th | Spring: October 15th
The Department of Political Science
455 W. Lindsey St., DAHT, Rm. 205
Norman, Oklahoma 73019
Feel free to contact our Graduate Programs Coordinator, Jeff Alexander at email@example.com.