A bachelor’s degree in Multidisciplinary Studies is an option provided for students who discover that existing OU programs do not meet their educational objectives and who wish to tailor a unique course of study to meet their individual goals. An MDS degree is an opportunity to craft a personal program of study with rigor, coherence, and purpose.
Total hours: 120 hours
Upper division hours: 48 hours
Minimum GPA: 2.0
The course of study must include a minimum of 30 hours major-theme credit plus a Capstone, OU’s General Education requirements, and additional elective hours to a total of at least 120 hours. At minimum 18 hours of the major credit must be at the upper division level.
The student proposes a major theme of study with a course plan in coordination with an MDS advisor. The course plan must be approved by the Provost. Following initial approval of the MDS plan, any subsequent changes or substitutions must be approved by the Provost. While exceptions can be approved by the Provost in rare circumstances, an MDS Plan of Study should include at minimum the courses required by two minors or concentrations already approved at OU. This allows students to combine coherent course sequences, while leaving the flexibility to add other, individual courses that add to the educational experience. Students are encouraged to add complementary courses beyond the core areas to enrich their experience. Independent studies, study abroad, internships, and other forms of field experience can also add value to the MDS Plan of Study.
The Multidisciplinary Studies major requires that all students submit their proposed degree plan to the Provost for approval. This ensures that each degree plan meets the academic standards of the program and that each student will receive an enriching college experience. To submit a degree proposal, students should complete the application below and return it to the Cal Hobson Academic Services Office located in Ellison Hall room 124. Once your plan is reviewed you will be notified via e-mail regarding your status to your OU e-mail account.
Approval of your Multidisciplinary Studies degree plan will admit you to the MDS major but does not evaluate your status towards graduation. All MDS students must adhere to all graduation requirements as stipulated on the degree checksheet. This checksheet is available on-line at checksheets.ou.edu. If you have any questions regarding the application process you can call the Cal Hobson Academic Services office at (405) 325-4411.
Please keep these things in mind when composing your MDS major application:
- Check the enrollment prerequisites for any courses you include in your MDS major plan to confirm your eligibility to enroll in the course.
- Some departments will only let declared majors enroll in their courses so you may need to speak with an advisor in the departments you include to confirm your eligibility to enroll.
- If your submitted plan is approved you must complete the exact list of courses you submitted on your major plan.
Since each Multidisciplinary Studies major plan is individualized to the student, academic advising is a crucial and required component for each student within the major. Students are required to meet with their Academic Advisor/Counselor each semester prior to enrollment. A student's advisor is assigned based on the first letter of their last name. Below is the breakdown of which students see which of our Academic Advisors/Counselors.
Last Name A-E and U-Z
Last Name F-M and S-T
Last Name N-R
There are many different reasons you would want to meet with your Academic Advisor/Counselor and we have detailed some of those reasons below:
- Semester Advising: Each student must be advised before they will be eligible to enroll for a given semester. Enrollment windows typically open a few months prior to the beginning of a semester so students should plan ahead!
- Degree Check: A degree check is a comprehensive audit of a student's academic records to determine exactly what they have remaining to graduate. This appointment is scheduled when a student has earned approximately 80-90 total hours.
- Academic Contract: Student's who have a GPA below the graduation requirement of 2.00 must sign a Academic Contract with their Academic Counselor/Advisor before they will be eligible for enrollment.
- New Transfer students: Multidisciplinary Studies students who have transferred to the University of Oklahoma will schedule an hour long appointment to discuss their major plan, semester advisement, and resources available at the University of Oklahoma.
- Re-Admit Students: Multidisciplinary Studies students returning to the University of Oklahoma after an absence of 3 or more semesters will need to schedule an appointment to discuss their major plan, semester advisement, and any new university policies/procedures since they last attended the university.
Please keep these important things in mind regarding appointments within the Multidisciplinary Studies major:
- Be sure that you have declared the Multidisciplinary Studies major. Students can declare the Multidisciplinary Studies major by completing a change of major form with the Cal Hobson Academic Services office in room 124 of Ellison Hall after they have an approved major plan.
- Be sure that you have submitted your designed major plan for approval. All MDS major applications should be submitted to Ellison Hall room 124 once completed. Once your degree plan has been officially reviewed by the Provost you will be notified via your OU e-mail address.
- Schedule an advising appointment each semester. Semester advising is required in the Multidisciplinary Studies major so you should visit iAdvise each semester to schedule these appointments.
- Be prepared for your advising appointment. Prior to your advising appointment you should use One to look at available courses and prepare a list of courses you are interested in completing. You should also make a list of questions you would like to ask your advisor.
- Gather and bring all important information. If you have any outstanding transfer work, placement tests, credit by advanced standing, or any other important information that could benefit your advising appointment please bring that with you.
Thursday, February 28th
You can download the IMP Conference Schedule for 2019 here:
[ 8:00 - 9:00AM ]
REGISTRATION & CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST
[ 9:00AM ]
[ 9:15AM ]
DESIGNING & TEACHING IMP CORE COURSES
(Dr.Rhonda Kyncl & Dr.Neal Judisch from the University of Oklahoma)
[ 10:00AM ]
[ 10:10AM ]
THE FUN AND FRUSTRATION OF THE COLLABORATIVE PROCESS
(Susan McCutcheon, Missy Eenigburg, Laurie Carrol & Jenna Beverly from the University of North Texas)
[ 11:00AM ]
UTILIZING DATA IN HIGHER EDUCATION
(Justin Wollenberg from the University of Oklahoma)
[ 11:45AM – 1:15PM ]
[ 1:30PM ]
THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA ACADEMIC COACHING MODEL
(Casey Partridge from the University of Oklahoma)
[ 2:00PM ]
HELPING INDIVIDUALIZED MAJOR STUDENTS DEVELOP FACILITY WITH COMPLEX CONCEPTS
(Matthew Chamberlin, Phil Frana and Fletcher Linder from James Madison University)
[ 2:30PM ]
CURRICULAR CHANGE AND THE SHIP OF THESEUS
(Kevin Egan from Drexel University)
[ 3:00PM ]
[ 3:15PM ]
BUILDING TRANSFER STUDENT BRIDGES WITH INDIVIDUALIZED MAJOR PROGRAMS
(Julie Cohara from Ohio University)
[ 3:40PM ]
BRIDGES AND EXPRESSWAYS: HOW INDIVIDUALIZED MAJORS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI TRANSPORT STUDENTS IN ACADEMIC TRANSITION TO DEGREE COMPLETION
(Carlynn Trout from the University of Missouri)
[ 4:10PM ]
[ 4:15PM ]
(The student panel will consist of some University of Oklahoma IMP students in addition to inviting participation from the students attending from the Drexel University and Arkansas State University)
[ 5:00PM ]
CLOSING OF DAY
[ 5:15PM ]
OPTIONAL DINNER GATHERING
Friday, March 01
|[ 8:00 - 9:00AM ]||CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST|
[ 9:15AM ]
THE STADIUM INDIVIDUALE: COMMUNITY AND COHESION IN A DEVELOPING INDIVIDUALIZED MAJOR PROGRAM
(Dr. Camilla Cassidy from Leuphana Universitat Luneburg)
[ 10:00AM ]
[ 10:10AM ]
PLANNING THE FUTURE OF THE IMP CONFERENCE AND ORGANIZATION
[ 11:15AM ]
[ 11:30AM ]
BOX LUNCHES FROM WAVING WHEAT BAKERY & BISTRO
|[ 1:00PM ]|
GUIDED TOURS OF OU