Academic Credit for Study Abroad
You are guaranteed to receive academic credit for all coursework taken on OU-approved study abroad programs. Your Academic Adviser can help you determine which courses make sense for you to take while abroad. Your Study Abroad Adviser will help you through the course equivalency and credit transfer process.
- You must submit required documentation to receive credit.
- Courses are equated by default to lower-division elective credit.
- Upper-division electives, Gen Ed credit, and/or specific equivalencies to existing OU courses can be requested and are subject to approval. See below for the course approval flow chart.
How to Receive Credit for Study Abroad Courses
- You can apply for course equivalencies before or after a study abroad program. We recommend applying before you go so you know how your courses will transfer back to OU.
- The deadline to apply for course equivalencies is one year after your program has ended.
- All courses taken abroad will be posted to your OU transcript.
- Most OU courses taken abroad will show letter grades, see your Study Abroad Adviser for exceptions.
- For all other programs, passed courses will post as S (satisfactory) and failed courses will post as U (unsatisfactory).
- You must be enrolled full-time on semester programs (12 hours for undergraduates).
- Summer programs do not have a minimum enrollment requirement, but some financial aid requires full-time enrollment for summer programs (6 hours for undergraduates).
Study Abroad Course Equivalency Process
The course equivalency process for University Exchange and Affiliate Programs is detailed on this page. Students studying abroad on OU Study Center programs, Journey programs, or College Sponsored programs do not need equate courses.
Timeline for Credit Transfer for University Exchange and Affiliate Programs
We recommend talking to your Academic Adviser in Phase 2 to determine which courses are best to take while studying abroad.
Phase 3: You will complete the Credit Agreement Form to select preliminary courses. We also recommend starting the course equivalency process now.
Phase 4: You will complete the Enrollment Verification Form to confirm your final courses after enrollment. The form must be signed by a program official on-site. Before you leave, request your offical transcript be sent to Education Abroad.
Phase 5: Once your transcript arrives, we will notify you and Academic Records to post your courses and grades. Any courses not previously equated will post as lower-division electives. Once your courses have been posted, you have up to one year to complete the course equivalency process.