OU International Educational Travel Policies and Procedures
It is the policy of the University of Oklahoma that all OU-sponsored programs that require students to travel outside of the United States follow the International Educational Travel Guidelines (PDF). The guidelines, the emergency response protocol, and other forms mandated by the guidelines may be obtained from the links below:
- International Educational Travel Guidelines for All Student Programs Sponsored by the University of Oklahoma (PDF)
- Emergency Response Protocol (PDF) (This protocol is applicable for all OU approved student travel overseas.)
- Direct Administrative Action on Study Abroad (PDF)
- Faculty Dependents and Guests on Study Abroad Policy (PDF)
OU Study Abroad & Travel Registration
- International Travel Approval Form (PDF): Program leaders must submit this form for all OU-sponsored faculty-led programs that require students to travel outside of the United States. It must be approved by both the Dean of the sponsoring college and the Vice Provost of International Programs and remain on file in the Education Abroad office. Forms for all summer faculty-led or Center programs must be submitted by November 15 of the calendar year prior to the summer program. Forms for all other programs (including semester, intersession, and other programs) must be submitted no later than 60 days prior to the start date of the program.
- Student Registration After Education Abroad receives the International Travel Approval Form, we will contact the professor of record or college coordinator and students with instructions on how to apply through or register with the central study abroad database. It is a required element of international education at OU and the responsibility of the professor of record and/or the college coordinator to ensure that all students are registered and necessary components are completed by the deadline communicated from Education Abroad.
- International Health and Evacuation Insurance obtained through the Office of Education Abroad is required for all students and faculty/staff traveling abroad on OU-sponsored programs and international educational actvities.
- Study Abroad Support Fee Students applying for OU-sponsored study abroad programs or participating in OU-sponsored international experiences, will be charged a non-refundable $50 service fee, which will automatically be placed on the participating students' bursar bill, or it is included in the program fee. This fee is designed to cover the cost and upkeep of the application software and travel registration database.
- US Department of State Travel Warnings: OU automatically suspends programming to countries under a US Department of State Travel Warning. For information about how to petition the Safety and Security Council to conduct study abroad programming in these countries, please click here.
- All OU students participating in OU-sponsored study abroad programs or international experiences - regardless of whether or not academic credit is earned - must register their travels and enroll in OU's study abroad insurance program by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
All questions or concerns regarding the above policies should be directed to Jill Irvine. Questions regarding pre-travel orientation, faculty training and procedural concerns should be directed to the Director of Education Abroad.