We are excited to offer a scholarship program available for incoming freshmen – the OU Global Engagement Fellowship. Coordinated by the David L. Boren College of International Studies, this program will ensure that students have the tools necessary to succeed in the global community.
Global Engagement Fellows receive a $5,000 cash scholarship account which can be used during their undergraduate education for at least two international experiences (typically one summer and one semester.).
Global Engagement Fellows will not only study abroad, but will also:
- Become proficient in one foreign language. Proficiency is satisfied by taking a minimum of 16 credit hours (2 years) of one foreign language - or by taking a relevant foreign language proficiency exam.
- Participate in at least one international student organization.
- Attend at least four international cultural programs or events each academic year.
- Enroll in and complete the course entitled Understanding the Global Community (IAS 2003).
- Participate in Global Engagement Fellowship meetings and events.
- In consultation with the Global Engagement Fellowship advisor, explore the opportunity apply for a Fulbright grant.
- Develop an e-portfolio that will document their international experiences on campus and overseas. Fellows will present their e-portfolios following their final international study experience at the Global Engagement Day event dedicated to the promotion of the Fellowship program.
- Maintain a 2.8 minimum grade-point average.
To apply to the program, go to the Fellowship for Global Engagement Application.
If you have questions, please email Associate Dean Rebecca Cruise.
Jada Phelps, class of 2023
Jada is a Withrow Leadership Scholar, was selected as Outstanding Freshman, and is a Resident Advisor for Walker. She is involved in Latinos Without Borders, High School Leadership Conference, Laura Lopez Foundation, and a PCS PAL.