Sponsored by the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the Fulbright US Student Program offers fellowships abroad for one academic year to graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, scientists and artists. Program participants pursue graduate or professional study, advanced research, or English teaching in elementary and secondary schools or universities. Each year, approximately 1,600 Americans traveling to more than 140 countries receive support from the Fulbright US Student Program.
Fulbright 2020-2021 Application cycle now OPEN
Eight OU students receive Fulbright grant
Eight OU students and alumni were named Fulbright grant recipients for 2018-2019. See details here
The Fulbright US Student Program offers more than 1,100 grants annually in all fields of study to graduating seniors, graduate students, and young professionals to spend an academic year abroad in more than 140 countries. In any application cycle, eligible applicants may apply for only ONE type of Fulbright award and to ONE country. Possibilities include:
- Graduate-level study at a university in the host country.
- Independent research on a topic of the applicant's choice.
- English Teaching Assistantship (primary, secondary or university).
- Creative arts project.
Fulbright fellowships fund:
- Round-trip airfare to and from the host country.
- Room, board and basic living expenses.
- Basic healthcare.
- In some cases, the following expenses are also covered: full or partial tuition for graduate-level study, book and research allowance, language study and dependent care.
Applicants must be:
- US citizens
- Hold a Bachelor of Arts degree or the equivalent before the start of the grant.
- In the creative performing arts, four years of professional study and/or experience meets the basic eligibility requirement.
- Other eligibility requirements
- Have sufficient written and spoken language proficiency of the host country to carry out the proposed study.
- Be in good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory Medical Certificate of Health from a physician.
Before beginning the application process for the Fulbright US Student program, interested students are expected to have thoroughly reviewed the Fulbright US Student program website. Prospective applicants should also carefully read the country summaries for their host countries of interest to ensure that their project is an appropriate match.
The OU campus deadline to apply is September 8, 2019 (5:00pm). Please see details about the application procedures here.
For questions, contact OU's Fulbright Program advisor, Bushra Asif.