Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies
The Liberal Studies degree program provides you with broad-ranging exposure across academic disciplines and familiarity with the great ideas and discoveries of past and current scholarship.
Using the classical liberal studies model, you will be introduced to humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences to help you gain an understanding of how each area influences the others. With such a wide range of scholarly topics, this program provides both, an excellent general education and foundation to continue graduate studies in many different areas.
Graduates will be better equipped to understand and analyze the complex issues and challenges of the 21st century.
The Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies is a flexible 126-hour program – students can complete the program 100% online or in a hybrid format.
Degree Topics Include:
- Humanities of the Modern and Ancient Worlds
- Ecology and evolution
- The dynamic universe
- Human arrangments
- Social Sciences
- Study-in-depth prospectus
The Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies is a fast paced accelerated program designed to accommodate working adults. When a student is admitted into the program – he/she is assigned an advisor who creates an individualized graduation plan. This plan will help organize and identify the courses necessary for completing the degree.
This is a degree completion program with 42 major hours. For the students who are transferring in the full general elective credit hours, only 42 major hours are needed in order to graduate. However, depending on the type of electives that are transferred, an advisor may instruct that more elective hours must be completed in order to fulfill the appropriate requirements. For true freshman students and/or people with no prior college credits, all 126 hours will be necessary to graduate.
Manageable Accelerated Courses
All undergraduate courses in this program are designed at an accelerated pace – meaning each course is 8-weeks long. Most students choose to take 4 courses (or 12 credit hours) a semester; two courses the first half of the semester and two courses the second half of the semester. However, some choose to take a full schedule of 6 courses (or 18 credit hours) per semester. The amount of credit hours you take a semester should be discussed with your advisor and reflective of your personal and work schedules – these courses are fast paced and intensive.
Depending on how many credit hours are transferred, along with the number of courses taken in a semester, this program can be completed in as little as 18 months. The majority of students complete the program in 4 – 5 years.
Have a question? Contact an Admissions Specialist or CLS advisor.
- A minimum of 126 hours is needed for a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies.
- A minimum of 30 hours must be earned from the OU College of Liberal Studies.
- A minimum of 60 hours must be earned from a baccalaureate (four-year) institution.
- A minimum of 40 hours must be upper-division coursework.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is needed for graduation.
- 12 - 40 hours of coursework must be completed.
- One upper division (3000/4000 level) Gen Ed course must be completed.
- An Associate of Arts (A.A.) or an Associate of Science (A.S.) from an accredited 2-year Oklahoma institution waives the lower-division general education requirements.
- No more than 30 lower-division and upper-division hours can be waived with advanced standing credit and/or extra institutional learning.
Electives fulfill the remaining hours necessary for the completion of a B.A. degree after general education and B.A. major requirements have been met.
Electives can be taken online through the College of Liberal Studies and/or transferred from another college or university, subject to the minimum graduation requirements presented above.
Free electives (0-72 hours) (All grades must be “D” or higher)