Astronaut Scholarship Award
Attention CoE Faculty
Nominate a qualifying student by Feb. 13, 2015
The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation is seeking nominations for outstanding students in the University of Oklahoma engineering, math or natural or applied sciences major. This award is for $10,000. To qualify and compete for an ASF award, students must:
- Be a U.S. citizen (birth certificate, US passport or naturalization papers required)
- Have completed two years of full time study at the ASF designated campus (sophomores nominated to receive the award as juniors must demonstrate truly exceptional accomplishments during their first three semesters)
- Be a junior or senior at the time their scholarship begins at that same Foundation-supported school; be majoring in Natural or Applied Science, Engineering or Mathematics; be a full-time student during both terms of the ASF-supported academic year (one-semester students are not eligible)
- Have conducted a considerable amount of research in their field
- And have been nominated for consideration by a professor at that institution who knows the student well enough to identify a special drive or talent that foreshadows a creative career leading to the advancement of scientific knowledge and technology
In addition, ideal candidates will have exhibited motivation, imagination and exceptional performance in their fields, as well as intellectual daring and a genuine desire to positively change the world around them, both in and out of the classroom. Although need is given consideration if both nominees are deemed equal, it is not a driving force in the selection process. It is the desire of the Foundation to encourage the most creative and innovative candidates who have the drive and ability to move into unknown territory. Please note that emphasis is placed upon demonstrated potential or ability and a drive to do research and to develop new ideas, inventions and innovative technology. Astronaut Scholarships are not awarded for pre-medical studies, so clinical medical research is not considered in the research selection criteria. However, biomedical research is included.
To continue to be included in the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation program, it is important the University submit at least 8 nominations for applications to be accepted into the pool. Last year we had many good applicants, if they are still eligible, please consider re-nominating.