Apply to the School of Industrial & Systems Engineering
Applicants are expected to have sufficient formal academic training in mathematics (through advanced calculus) and engineering principles to qualify for enrollment in graduate engineering coursework. No program-level prerequisites are included, only course-level prerequisites. Students are responsible for completing course-level prerequisites before enrolling in graduate courses.
The application process requires that you submit materials to the Graduate College of the University of Oklahoma as well as supporting documents to the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering. This process is described with the following steps.
Note: The School of Industrial and Systems Engineering does not directly admit students into the program. OU's Graduate College is the university body that governs the admission process. The School of ISE can only recommend a student's admission to the Graduate College.
For graduate program applicants applying online, visit the Graduate College's online application page. Navigation of the application page is logical, but make sure you read the selections clearly. An online application requires the applicant to pay the application fee online via credit card. The application fees for U.S. citizens and for international applicants are provided on the online application page.
For applicants applying by mail, visit the Graduate College's page for applications in pdf format. As application form may vary by semester, we link to the general page here. Note that there are separate applications for graduate admissions for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and for international applicants. Also note that there are separate applications for the three OU campuses - ensure that you choose the application for the Norman campus. You must mail in your application fee to the Office of Admissions and Records address listed below. As with the online application, applicable fees for U.S. citizens and for international applicants are provided on the application.
For all applicants, whether application submission is via online or mail, certain materials must be mailed to the OU Office of Admissions and Records. These materials are:
Copies of official transcripts from all schools previously attended. This is required for all applicants. A minimum grade point average of 3.00 is required.
Report of TOEFL score. This is required for all international applicants. A minimum score of 550 is required.
The above material, and application form for those applicants opting to apply by mail, should be sent to the following address.
Office of Admissions and Records University of Oklahoma 1000 Asp Avenue, Room 127 Norman, Oklahoma 73019-4076 405.325.2251
More information about the Graduate College admission process can be obtained here.
In addition to the application, transcripts, and other materials submitted to the OU Graduate College, the OU School of Industrial and Systems Engineering requires that several supporting documents be submitted online through the OU College of Engineering Application website. These additional supporting documents are as follows.
- Statement of purpose. This is a document wherein applicants describe their educational, research, and career goals in 500 or fewer words. Focus should be placed on why applicants are pursuing a graduate degree, e.g., what their research interests are, why their research and degree will prepare them for the field they want to eventually pursue.
- Three letters of recommendation. Three references should be identified by the applicant to submit letters of recommendations. References should comment on your knowledge of engineering and scientific principles, analytical abilities, experimental abilities, initiative, communications skills, and any other comments that would be beneficial in reviewing your application. These letters of recommendation will be submitted online by the references, who are prompted by an email from the application website.
- Resume or curriculum vitae. Such a document should list the applicants educational and work history, any publications or conference presentations, honors and awards, among other educational and research traits.
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. GRE scores should be sent directly to the School of ISE from ETS.
- Master's thesis abstract. This is required for Ph.D. applicants only.
We prefer that the above supplemental materials be submitted electronically through the OU College of Engineering Application website. However, we can accept these materials at the following address:
School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Attn: Graduate Programs Coordinator
202 W. Boyd, Room 124
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-1022 USA
Applications and all credentials required for admission must be received by the following dates to be considered for financial aid:
|Applying for||Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents||June 1||November 1|
|Other Applicants||April 1||September 1|
Applicants should apply earlier than these dates when possible.
Applicantions from U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents will be accepted after these dates. However, in this case the applicant should be aware that financial aid decisions may already have been made.
Applications from international students require additional time for processing and applications must be received by the given dates to allow enrollment in the intended semester.
Should you need any further assistance, contact Amy Piper by email or by phone at (405) 325-3721.
- Office of Admissions Review - Upon receipt of your application, the Office of Admissions will verify that all materials are received and will forward your application to the Graduate College for review.
- Graduate College Review - After a review of your transcripts, the Graduate College will refer your application to the academic department for their review.
- Academic Department Review - After the academic department reviews your complete application, they will notify the Graduate College of their admission recommendation.
- Notification of Admission Decision - The Graduate College will review the recommendation and forward your application and final admission decision to the Office of Admissions, who will then notify you of your admission status.
Applicants can check the status of their application at https://ssb.ou.edu/pls/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon. Log in with the Login ID and PIN you created to submit the online application, or the one our Admissions office sent you if you submitted a paper application. You can then view the status of your application by clicking on the term link in the Admission Term column.
Only the Office of Admissions is authorized to notify applicants of their acceptance by the University. If you are outside the U.S., this office issues a Certificate of Eligibility (United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Form I-20) when you are officially admitted. If you are inside the U.S., the Form I-20 is issued by our Office of International Student Services. You should interpret no statement made in correspondence with any University faculty member to mean that you have been accepted, unless you have received official notification of admission from the Office of Admissions. Upon receiving the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20), you should take it to the appropriate U.S. consulate to complete your application for a U.S. visa.
To request express mailing of your Admission packet and enclosed I-20, please visit the eShipGlobal website https://study.eshipglobal.com (works best with Internet Explorer & Mozilla Firefox browsers). You must use this website – do not access the DHL or FedEx website directly.
- All communication will go through the eShipGlobal service, who will notify us that you are requesting your documents to be sent by express mail.
- You will be required to create your own user name and password in order to create an account.
- To request shipment, you will need your OU Student ID number, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information.
- You may request shipment either to your foreign address, or to a U.S. contact address. If your documents are going to be sent to a U.S. contact address, please include the name of the person who lives at that address.
- Please pay close attention to the information submitted, as errors in the credit card information or submitting incorrect or incomplete address information will result in a delay in the mailing of your documents.
Please make the following selections when beginning your shipping request:
University Selection - University of Oklahoma Norman Campus
Select Department - Office of Admissions
Applicants are strongly encouraged to wait until notification of admission has been received before registering with eShipGlobal or completing a shipping request. The University of Oklahoma is not responsible for refunds for any express mail costs completed through eShipGlobal.
If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the “Help” link in the eShipGlobal site for step by step instructions. If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you submit an application for admission, you are applying for a specific term. If you wish to be considered for a term later than the one for which you initially applied, you must submit a new application for admission and application fee. Transcripts and other documents already submitted will be kept on file for one year. You should also let us know if you have been attending school elsewhere and submit official transcripts for any work that you had not previously submitted.
Please remember that TOEFL scores must be less than two years old by the beginning of the term you wish to attend, and your financial support documentation must be less than three months old.
For a PDf of the ISE graduate programs guide, please click here.