Dean's Leadership Council
The Dean’s Leadership Council (DLC) facilitates connections that contribute to the Gallogly College of Engineering's community through peer mentorship. This community is built through service, dedication, respect, and honesty toward others, engineering as a profession, the Gallogly College of Engineering, and the University of Oklahoma.
The DLC mentors are engineering students with excellent academic credentials, leadership and communication skills. They serve as mentors to freshman and transfer engineering students and student recruiters for prospective students interested in engineering. DLC mentors are selected through an application and interview process. To be eligible, interested students are required to attend one of the information sessions listed below. Please direct any questions to Amber Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or (405) 325-1069.
DLC Mentors contribute to the Gallogly College of Engineering by sharing the knowledge and skills gained through their college experience with new engineering students. They work closely with the members of the Gallogly College of Engineering administration, staff, and faculty. DLC Mentors are assigned to one or two ENGR 1411 Project Sections. They execute interactive projects and activities with the new engineers. DLC Mentors assigned to ENGR 3410/3511 organize mentoring events for the whole class, and serve as mentor for the new transfer students.
Mentors attend all nine DLC training sessions and team meetings. Mentors serve as positive, enthusiastic role models for engineers. They must be positive in attitude, work ethic and professionalism. They will exchange constructive feedback and information with other mentors and the DLC advisers. Mentors should also identify and encourage opportunities for students to become involved in the University community.
For their contributions to GCoE and OU, DLC mentors receive a scholarship and skills that can be built upon in their professional and academic careers.
Spring 2020 Schedule
|DLC Applications Open||Online|
|DLC Mentor Applications Due||Deadline: 11:59 p.m.|
|Monday, Feb. 24||Information Session 1 ||REPF 200|
|Tuesday, Feb. 25||Information Session 2||REPF 200|
|Wednesday, Feb. 26||Information Session 3||REPF 200|
|Friday, Feb. 28||Information Session 4||REPF 200|
|Tuesday, March 3||Information Session 5||REPF 200|
|Thursday, March 5||Information Session 6||REPF 200|
|Friday, March 6||Information Session 7||REPF 200|
|Friday, March 6||Information Session 8||REPF 200|
- Create a mentor/mentee bond with the students in your class
- Assist Project Section Instructor with day-to-day class activities
- Lead mentoring activities during six project experience classes
- Attend training sessions and prepare for Freshmen Enrichment through Mentoring Sessions
- Maintain a 2.85 GPA
- Represent the ideals of OU, the Gallogly College of Engineering, and the Dean's Leadership Council
- Serve as ambassador for the College
- Serve on panels or support mentoring activities for the Spring Semester
- Perform all mentor responsibilities listed above
- Lead mentors are to guide the mentors and mentors-in-training
- Work closely with Dean Shehab, Dr. Kim Wolfinbarger, and Amber Williams
- Train mentors on FEMS activities
- Be the liaison between the instructors and the mentors
- Encourage mentors to be engaged in the course on non-FEMS days
- Seek out and collect all GCOE events and distribute information to the mentors
- Additional training may be required
Nine trainings throughout the Fall semester.
Mentor for up to two of the ENGR 1411 Project Sections 001- 902
Mentors of 2020-2021 will receive a scholarship for the Fall semester.
Mentor- $500 Scholarship
Lead Mentor- $750 Scholarship
Mentors must attend the Sooners on Scholarship Workshop to write a thank you letter.
The application is available from Friday, Feb. 21 through Friday, March 6 at 11:59 p.m. Those applying for New Mentor or New Lead must attend an information session to be eligible.
Apply here: DLC Application