Information Technology Council
Minutes for the Meeting of March 22, 1996
Members present: E. Anderson, D. Brown, C. Dillon, M. Gillette, D. Hough, B. Mason,
L. Portwood, D. Roberts, S. Sohail
- Lisa Portwood reported on the meeting of the Instructional Technology committee.
The committee will work on a draft proposal for the “Educational Development Initiative”
at their next meeting.
- Dale Brown reported on the meeting of the Network Administration committee. The
committee is drafting a policy framework for network access and responsibilities.
- A discussion of general problems and issues of immediate concern to the ITC was held.
The issues discussed were:
- Response to technology questions. A smoothly functioning help desk and/or a
single ombudsman is needed to answer questions or direct them to the proper
resource. The ITC should recommend that these resources be established.
- Campus-wide policy statements. The ITC should review and make suggestions
on technology policies, such as e-mail, web access, and software utilization.
- Site licenses and standards. The possible increases in efficiency and decreases
in costs possible from adopting software and hardware standards on campus make
such adoptions an important issue. The ITC should provide a framework for these
- Student fees. There needs to be continuing efforts to solicit student input on
expenditures of technology fees on campus.
- Points (a) and (c) above will be discussed at our next meeting, Friday April 5. Point
(b) will be discussed at the following meeting, Friday April 17. Guests will be invited to
this meeting to discuss the background for the existing policies. Point (d) will be a subject
of continuing work between the ITC and the students.