OU seeks smart, motivated and service-oriented students who will enhance our academic community and, ultimately, make meaningful contributions to the national and global communities. Using the holistic admission process, we look at each student as a whole taking into account several factors in addition to academic achievement. See a profile of our entering first-year students.
The University recognizes that a student's potential is based on more than just numbers, and looks at each individual for a range of qualities – from intellect, imagination, compassion, respect, generosity and decency, to diversity of background and experience, strength of character and determination to conquer challenges. Therefore, each application for admission is read thoroughly, thoughtfully and fairly to evaluate all-around excellence in academics, the arts, athletics, leadership, service, citizenship, and character.
We want you to be a member of our learning community which includes the very best students from Oklahoma, the other 49 states, and more than 100 countries around the world.
As one of the top public universities in the nation, OU offers a culture of academic excellence and opportunity. Our students' educational experience is enriched by a diverse community, vibrant student life programs, beautiful campus and flourishing metropolitan area. Visit OU to discover the possibilities!
We are excited to announce our acceptance to the Common Application! Learn more about what this could mean for you as you consider applying to OU as an incoming freshman for fall 2014.
|US Citizens & Permanent Residents||International Students|
High school graduates, or students who have received a GED, with fewer than seven college hours AFTER high school graduation or completion of GED
|First-time International Freshman|
Have graduated from secondary school and never attended a post-secondary institution
March 1 - summer session
April 1 -- fall semester
November 1 -- Spring semester
***Applications must be RECEIVED by the Office of Admissions by the dates above. A $40 non-refundable application fee is required of all applicants. We begin making admission decisions as early as September 1 for the following spring and fall semesters.***
After submitting your Common Application, be sure to provide the following:
- Official high school transcript reflecting at least six semesters of work completed, a grade point average computed on an unweighted 4.0 scale, and a rank in class
- Official copies of your ACT and/or SAT scores
- Letter of Recommendation
- An official transcript from any collegiate institution you have attended as a concurrently enrolled student
- Official copies of any AP or CLEP test scores
Visit our Common Application page for more information
The University of Oklahoma Admissions Process
We would be pleased to consider your application for admission to the University of Oklahoma!
As we do not evaluate your ability to be successful based on numbers alone, we hope you will tell us about yourself, your talents and abilities, and your interest in OU. See requirements and other factors for admission decisions.
- Office of Admissions receives application and all academic credentials
- Office of Admissions evaluates and verifies all academic credentials
- Office of Admissions processes decision and notifies applicant. Estimated time 4-6 weeks.
We admit only the number of students that OU has the capacity to teach and serve effectively. Our standards ensure that the students we admit are prepared to excel in our highly competitive academic environment.
The Admissions Committee reviews all information submitted by and on behalf of each applicant. There are several outcomes determined by the Committee.
- Applicants may be admitted without additional conditions.
- The applicant may be offered admission based on terms outlined in an admissions agreement.
- The applicant may be placed on a wait list. Applicants on the wait list will be admitted on a space-available basis, with preference given to the most academically qualified applicants in the pool. We understand that the "wait" may be challenging for many students and their parents. We make every effort to finalize our wait list decisions by May.
- An applicant may be denied admission.
The University of Oklahoma, with the approval of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education, may alter admission requirements at any time, when it is in the best interest of the University and our students to do so.
All transcripts, test scores, correspondence or other materials submitted in conjunction with an application for admission become the permanent property of the University and will not be returned. Should you need copies of your transcripts for other purposes, you must obtain them from the originating institution(s).