Skip Navigation
The University of Oklahoma Admissions WebsiteThe University of OklahomaOU Admissions

In-State/Out-of-State Tuition Policy

The University of Oklahoma is a state-supported institution of higher education supported by legislative funds derived from State of Oklahoma tax revenue. As a state, tax-supported institution, the University gives preference in tuition pricing to residents of the State of Oklahoma.

The University's definition of the term "resident" may be different from the definitions developed by other, non-university agencies. The University does not recognize declarations of resident status made by other agencies. Thus a person who is an Oklahoma resident for tax or voting purposes is not necessarily a resident for University of Oklahoma tuition purposes.

Basic Definition of Resident Status

Resident status is granted to financially independent adults who are permanently residing in Oklahoma and who have been physically and continuously present in the State of Oklahoma for at least one calendar year prior to the first day of class attendance at any Oklahoma institution of higher education; and who, during this one-year period, resided in Oklahoma for some reason other than primarily to attend classes at a post-secondary educational institution.

Resident status for tuition purposes is based on the location of your permanent domicile. Domicile has two components, residence and intent to remain indefinitely. A person can have more than one residence, but only one domicile.

Attendance at an educational institution, albeit a continuous and long-term experience, is interpreted as temporary residence. Therefore, a student neither gains nor loses resident status solely by such attendance.

In-State/Out-of-State Classification

The University has been authorized to make determinations for in-state/out-of-state classifications for its individual students, either at the time of initial enrollment, or as the result of a petition for reclassification. The Office of Admissions is designated to make these determinations for the University. Contact the Office of Admissions, 1000 Asp Avenue, Norman, OK 73019-4076 or (405) 325-2252 for petition forms or questions concerning resident classification. Petition forms are also on the Web at Petition for In-state Tuition Classification PDF.

OSRHE Policy

Each residency petition is judged on its own merit using the guidelines and regulations established by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) (PDF) . It is the student's responsibility to provide documentation to support a petition for in-state tuition classification. Petitions that are not supported by sufficient documentation will be denied.

Supporting Evidence or Documentation

Actions such as the following may help to support an application for resident tuition status insofar as they apply to the Basic Definition of Resident Status: maintaining a permanent home/domicile in Oklahoma for at least 12 months prior to the first day of class attendance at any Oklahoma institution of higher education; listing Oklahoma as your tax state with the military; Oklahoma automobile registration and driver's license; evidencing in some convincing way intent to remain in Oklahoma indefinitely after graduation (in other than a graduate student capacity); owning property and paying state property taxes, voter registration. All of these things will be taken into consideration as part of a petition for in-state tuition classification, but are not, in and of themselves, sufficient to establish residency.

The issue of intent to remain in Oklahoma after completing one's education is important in reclassifying financially independent adult students. Each individual must present his or her own special set of circumstances, along with documentation, to support the contention that he or she intends to remain in Oklahoma after graduation or ceasing to enroll as a student. Verification of full-time employment after graduation is an example of documentable intent to remain; however, verification of future employment should be no more than one calendar year prior to the expected graduation date. This is not the only means to establish this intent. All materials and circumstances presented by the student will be considered, but the evidence must clearly and convincingly show a student's intent to stay in Oklahoma.

Active-Duty Military, Stationed in Oklahoma

A member of the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard) who provides evidence that he or she is full-time active duty stationed in Oklahoma may be immediately eligible for in-state status without meeting other domiciliary requirements listed above. The in-state status eligibility also applies to the members' spouse and dependent children.

Further, when a member of the U.S. Armed Forces is transferred out-of-state, the member (along with his or her spouse and dependent children) is eligible to retain his or her in-state classification as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled.  “Full-Time Active Duty Military Personnel” for the purposes of this policy, are members of the armed forces who are on active duty for a period of more than 30 days (means active duty under a call or order that does not specify a period of 30 days or less). Personnel and their spouse and dependent children may be classified upon admission as in-state as long as they are continuously enrolled. “Armed Forces” means Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. Such term does not include full-time National Guard duty.  However, full-time, active-duty Oklahoma National Guard members in non-resident status should contact Veteran Student Services at (405)325-4308 for additional non-resident tuition waiver information. NOTE: Veteran Student Services requires a copy of the National Guard member's active-duty orders to determine qualifications for a non-resident tuition waiver. A limited number of non-resident tuition waivers are available.

How to Apply for In-State Tuition Classification

Petition for In-State Tuition Classification (PDF)

Attach full documentation to the petition form and submit to:
University of Oklahoma
Office of Admissions
1000 Asp Ave Room 127
Norman, OK 73019-4076

Deadlines for submitting the petition and documents are as follows:
Fall - October 31
Spring - March 31
Summer - June 30

In-state reclassification is not granted on a retroactive basis. If you are receiving scholarships, loans, grants or other financial aid, please contact the OU Financial Aid Services office for information concerning how reclassification to in-state status may affect your financial aid.

Petitions submitted without sufficient documentation will be denied.

To help avoid confusion, you cannot be made a resident for the purposes of paying in-state tuition on the following basis alone:

  • Property/home ownership in Oklahoma
  • Relatives (other than parents) living in Oklahoma
  • Being born in Oklahoma
  • Previously living in Oklahoma (unless it has been within the last 12 months.)