Have a Financial Aid or Bursar bill question? Find the answers at
"Ask the Sooners!"
Student Loan Info
If you have any questions about Student Loan Services, please call us at (405) 325-5876 or (866) 535-6044 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The primary function of this page is to provide up-to-date information on borrowers' rights, responsibilities, and payment options available for the type of loan you have.
To review your loan information go to: www.ECSI.net. All monthly statements will come from ECSI, a third party vendor.
Loan Repayment Terms
- Repayment of your loan begins when the grace period ends.
- Loan payments are due on the first day of each month.
- Monthly payment amount depends on the amount borrowed.
- The repayment period may not exceed 10 years.
- The University of Oklahoma sends monthly statements to loan borrowers. The statements come from a third party vendor, www.ECSI.net. Non-receipt of statements is not a valid defense for nonpayment. It is the responsibility of the borrower to pay the bill.
There are many payment options available:
AutoPay - Features Include:
- Free EFT Service
- Never miss a payment
- No more check writing
- Withdrawn from your bank account at the same time each month.
- Payment posted to your loan immediately.
You may also contact us for information on starting the service at (405) 325-5876.
Allow 10 days to receive the forms for processing. An acknowledgment will be sent to you by email to let you know that the EFT service has been set up for you.
Cash, Checks, or Money Orders
- Cash - accepted at the Cashier windows on campus, Buchanan Hall, Room 105.
- Checks and Money Orders - accepted by mail and at the Cashier windows.
- Make checks and money orders payable to: University of Oklahoma
- Write the name of the borrower on the check as it is on OU records.
- If you know your Sooner ID number, write that on your check as well.
Check by Phone
- Use your checking account to make a payment over the phone.
- Need to know your bank's routing number and account number.
- If your personal check is returned for insufficient funds (NSF), there will be a $25.00 service fee.
- MasterCard, Discover, Visa, American Express
- To make a credit card payment by phone, please call our Student Loan Service office, between office hours 8:00 am to 3:00 pm CST.
- Credit card regulations prohibit us from storing credit card information. In order to process daily business, we close our machine at 3:00 pm CST.
Types of Loans
If you currently have a Perkins Loan, we invite you to review the following information. If you need assistance with finding information, please contact us.
Perkins loan is a federally mandated loan with a current interest rate of 5%. The loan is subject to the following provisions:
You may apply for cancellations, if you are employed in certain sectors of the workforce that provide services to the community. Please contact our office to receive detailed information regarding your profession.
You may defer your loan if you are enrolled at least half time in an eligible school, seeking employment, or having economic hardship.
You may apply for temporary postponement of payment if you are experiencing economic hardship, poor health, or other acceptable reasons. For further information, please contact our office.
New Military Deferments as of July 1, 2006
If you were awarded a Federal Perkins Loan, this is to notify you that recent federal legislation has added new military deferments for borrowers. The Master Promissory notes signed after June 30, 2006 contain detailed information about these deferments. If you signed a promissory note prior to then, the information is summarized below.
Effective July 1, 2006, a new military deferment was created, effective for Perkins loans for which the first disbursement was made on or after July 1, 2001. As of July 1, 2006, a qualified borrower may receive a deferment for a period in which he or she met the qualifications after July 1, 2001. The deferment shall not exceed a total of three years and applies only to periods during which borrowers are serving on active duty during a war or other military operations, or national emergency, or performing qualifying National Guard duty during a war or other military operation or national emergency.
Lew Wentz, Robey, Sells, Clark, Kaiser, and Retention Loans
You may defer your loans if you are still attending school at least half-time. For further information about your loan, please contact our office.
Perkins Loan Consolidation
Consolidation is refinancing all of your federal student loans into one loan through a private lender. This new loan will have a new interest rate, payment terms, and monthly payments. The following federal student loans are eligible for consolidation: Federal Stafford loans, Federal Direct loans, Federal PLUS loans, Federal SLS loans, Federal Perkins loans, Health Professional Student loans (HPSL) and Nursing School loans (NSL).
You may also be able to consolidate your Institutional Loans, please contact our office for a list of lenders that provide this service. The payment terms of a consolidation loan can make repayment of your student loans much easier financially and much less confusing since you will not have to keep up with several different lenders. However, some of the benefits available in the original student loan may be lost after consolidation. Discuss your options thoroughly with your lender.
To apply for a consolidation loan, contact your Stafford lender. You must also make it a point to tell your lender about your Perkins loan.
The University of Oklahoma contracts with several national collection agencies to collect our severely past due student loans. This is in addition to using the OU Legal Council for further litigation action.
If your loan is seriously past due, it will be accelerated and placed with one of our collection agencies. A collection fee of 25 to 50 percent of your past due balance will also be added to your loan. Interest and collection fees will continue to accrue monthly.
Within two weeks of placement, you will be contacted directly by the collection agency. It is in your best interest to contact the agency as soon as possible to resolve the delinquency on your loan.
The collection agencies that we contract are listed below:
Borrowers call 800-724-4439
- Credit World Services
Borrowers call 913-362-3950
- Enterprise Recovery Systems (ERS)
Borrowers call 800-377-1904
Borrowers call 877-433-7014
- National Credit Management
Borrowers call 800-333-6787
- Reliant Capital Solutions
Borrowers call 866-738-3179
- S&S Recovery
Borrowers call 866-738-3179
- Todd, Bremer and Lawson
Borrowers call 800-849-6669
- Williams & Fudge
Borrowers call 800-849-9791
All loan activity is reported monthly to three national credit bureaus, listed below. To avoid having your loan reported as past due and in default to the credit bureaus, be certain to make your payments by the first of each month.
If you have any questions or concerns about your loan payment history, please contact our office.
- Trans Union
760 W Sproul Rd
Springfield, PA 19064-0390
National Consumer Assistance Center
PO Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013
PO Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
Your Rights and Responsibilities
As a student loan borrower, you have certain rights and responsibilities pertaining to your loan.
Your Rights as a Borrower:
- You are entitled to receive exit counseling to help you understand your repayment obligation. Your loan is still due without the exit counseling.
- You are entitled to a repayment schedule.
- You have the right to prepay without any penalty.
Your Responsibilities as a Borrower:
- You must provide information about changes in your current name, address, and statuses of your school when you graduate or drop below half-time.
- You must participate in exit counseling.
- You must repay your student loans.
- If you apply for a deferment or forbearance, you should continue to make regular payments until your request has been granted.