Skip Navigation
Chemical, Biological & Materials EngineeringOU HomeChemical, Biological and Materials Engineering

Graduate Financial Aid

Most entering graduate students are granted financial assistance, typically directly from the School of Chemical, Biological and Materials Engineering. Sources of aid include research or teaching assistantships, industrial fellowships, and grants and scholarships available through the university. Stipends to graduate students are very competitive nationally. The School makes effort to support graduate students making satisfactory progress toward their degree.

Our tuition costs are figured per credit hour and based on a resident and nonresident system. Each course is for a certain number of credit hours. Oklahoma residents pay the resident portion of tuition plus fees and expenses. Non-residents pay both the resident and non-resident porition of tuition plus fees and expenses.

Financial assistance is available for most Chemical Engineering graduate students. Grants, fellowships, and teaching and research assistantships typically range from $14,000 to $24,000 per year. Students who have their undergraduate degree in chemistry or a similar area may receive assistance beginning at $14,000 per year while students possessing a chemical engineering degree typically receive $23,000  - $24,000 per year. Assistantships typically include some non-resident and resident tuition waivers. Oklahoma residents usually receive a partial in-state tuition waiver. A student is automatically considered for financial assistance if requested; however not necessarily will all students admitted receive financial assistance.

Tuition waivers currently include all courses required for the degree. Typical loads for entering graduate students are 9 hours in the fall and spring. It also includes waivers of the basic Student Health Insurance. Information and forms about the tuition waivers is available on the Graduate College web pages at and information about the health insurance waiver is available through the Office of Human Resources web page at The tuition, fees and waivers are set by the Board of Regents and may be changed. After the tuition and health care waivers, a non-resident graduate student would have expenses of tuition, books, fees and parking typically around $4,000 for the year (not including housing).

Information about tuition and fees can be found on the Bursar's web site. This site also has a link to estimate the cost for attending graduate school at OU and the benefit of the waivers.

Graduate Program Applicants

Resolution Regarding Graduate Fellowships, Traineeships, and Assistantships

The School of Chemical, Biological and Materials Engineering follows the policy of the Council of Graduate Schools. Their resolution regarding graduate scholars, fellows, trainees, and assistants is listed below.

Acceptance of an offer of financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship) for the next academic year by a prospective or enrolled graduate student completes an agreement that both student and graduate school expect to honor. In that context, the condition affecting such offers and their acceptance must be defined carefully and understood by all parties.

Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution. In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer. It is further agreed by the institutions and organizations subscribing to the above resolution that a copy of this resolution should accompany every scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, and assistantship offer.

Correspondence and Information

If you have any additional questions or would like more information, please contact us at:

Graduate Program
The School of Chemical, Biological and Materials Engineering
University of Oklahoma
100 E. Boyd, Sarkeys Energy Center, T-301
Norman, Oklahoma 73019-1004
Phone: (800) 601-9360 or (405) 325-5811