Skip Navigation
export controls website wordmarkOU homepageExport Controls website

Export Controls and International Travel

University of Oklahoma employees who travel internationally to teach or conduct research should be aware of the possibility of export license requirements for items, materials, or equipment that they carry with them.  Hand-carrying items, materials, or equipment outside of the U.S. (even temporarily) is considered an export.  All exports should be screened by the Office of Export Controls for export license requirements.  Depending on the destination and the equipment involved, an export license may be required.  In many cases, a license exception may be available.  The OEC can make this determination and provide the appropriate documentation.

Technology that is not publicly available could also be subject to export control regulation and may require a license.  For assistance with determining if technology is publicly available, contact the OEC.

Travel to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria and your in-country activity in these destinations can be highly regulated.  In some instances, a license may be required for seemingly innocuous activity such as teaching a course with publicly available information.  Contact the OEC before traveling to these countries. 

Prior to traveling internationally, please visit the following websites for helpful information.

  • For travel warnings, security information, and other country-specific information, visit
  • For information about recommended vaccinations and other country-specific health issues, visit
  • For information about the TSA’s current airport security procedures, visit