Skip Navigation
financial aid services website wordmarkThe University of Oklahoma websiteFinancial Aid Services website

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

The University of Oklahoma Federal Work-Study (FWS) program allows eligible students to earn money by working on campus or with local private or public nonprofit agencies.  FWS is not a grant or a loan and students who participate in the program receive a bi-weekly paycheck that they can use towards educational expenses. 

Earnings are based on the hourly wage that is negotiated between the employer and the student.  Wages are considered taxable income, but earnings are not used to determine your financial need when filing the FAFSA

Dollar sign

FWS Eligibility

You must file a FAFSA in order to qualify.  FWS funds are limited, so it is critical that you submit your FAFSA as early as possible.  Students must be awarded and accept the FWS offer on their OU Financial Aid Notification before they can apply for a FWS position.  All student worker positions require current student enrollment. 

If you were not awarded FWS, please contact Financial Aid Services at (405) 325-4521 to see if you may qualify. 

Award Amounts

The average award is up to $4,000 per year, or up to $2,000 per semester. You may work until your wages reach your total FWS award amount.

Types of FWS Employment

  • Campus Based Employment- The University regularly hires student workers in various departments on-campus where students gain experience and training. As part of the federal match, the department on campus is reimbursed one-half of the students' wages. This allows the various departments to hire more students.
  • Community Based Employment- Off campus positions provide employment at local, private non-profit, and public agencies. Community Service Learning (CSL) agencies in and around the Norman area are continuously seeking students to work in a variety of jobs. Many jobs have flexible hours to accommodate class schedules. Agencies that list positions through OU especially value the enthusiasm, knowledge, and experience of our students.
  • Tutoring- Qualified students who are interested in tutoring children may apply for, which can be located at pre-schools, childcare centers, after-school programs, family and community based literacy programs.

Finding a FWS Job

Interested in finding a Federal Work-Study position?  Follow the instructions below.

        You may also try searching in the "Students or Work Study" section.

  • If you see a position you are interested in, complete the required application to apply for the position.
  • Once you have appled for a position, you may contact the hiring department to check the status of your application. 
Red bicycle