Drama Facilities & Technology
Reynolds Performing Arts Center
Historicly known as Holmberg Hall this is Oklahoma’s only European-style performance hall located inside the Donald W. Reynolds Performing Arts Center and seats 677. Read more about the history of the hall, here.
Rupel J. Jones Theatre
Located inside the Fine Arts Center this is a traditional proscenium style 600-seat theatre with the unique capacity to utilize apron to create a thrust configuration. Many mainstage productions are held in the Rupel J. Jones Theatre with large casts and complex sets.
Located inside the Fine Arts Center the A. Max Weitzenhoffer Theatre is an intimate, state-of-the-art 235 seat flexible theatre. Drama, opera and musical mainstage productions are held in this theatre-in-the-round setting.
Located inside Beatrice Carr Wallace Old Science Hall this is a 73-seat proscenium theatre with an off-Broadway feel. Edgy, contemporary theatre, including the Faith Broome Playwright-in-Residence productions, are held in this space.
Gilson Studio Theatre
Located inside Beatrice Carr Wallace Old Science Hall this is an intimate and flexible blackbox theatre that seats 50. Student-directed and Lab productions take place in the E. Frank Gilson Studio Theatre.
Costume & Scene Shops
Each of our theatres is fully equipped with the technical equipment necessary to produce the highest possible quality productions. The OU School of Drama owns a variety of lighting consoles:
- ETC Ion
- ETC Expression 3
- Strand 300
- ETC Express 24
- Lightronics 4008
We also have a small control console in our lighting lab where lighting students can test their skills and see their designs come to life. We have an extensive set of conventional lighting instruments for each theatre space, primarily made up of Source 4's. Generous contributions from School of Drama Alumnus A. Max Weitzenhoffer have allowed us to enhance our inventory of intelligent lighting instruments. We have a number of intelligent lights including:
- 2 HighEnd Studio Spots CMY
- 2 HighEnd Studio Colors CM?
- 2 Source 4 Revolutions
- 18 Wybron color scrollers
- 12 Apollo Smart Color scrollers
Our sound equipment including:
- Maki SR32
- Yamaha M7
- Peggy Dow Camera Acting Studio
- Computer Aided Drafting Lab- Nine computers equipped with Vectorworks, Virtual Light Lab, internet connection and more.
Three performance classrooms
- Two equipped with a stage, piano and basic scenery for performance work.
- One is a dance studio equipped with studio mirrors, a dance bar, a piano, and rehearsal blocks used to help build basic scenery.
- We also have traditional classrooms for non-performance classes such as Theatre History and Play Structure & Analysis.
- Conference Room is used for small seminar classes and production meetings.
- All Drama students are encouraged to stay in top physical condition and our weight room is available to all Drama students to help them meet their fitness goals.