Gaylord Ambassadors Criteria
Deadline for application is February 28, 2014.
Gaylord College Student Ambassadors are undergraduate journalism and mass communication majors involved in outreach activities on behalf of the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication. Ambassadors are engaged in a variety of activities from contacting prospective students to meeting with nationally known scholars and journalists that come to OU.
Among other duties, ambassadors serve as liaisons between the college and prospective students and alumni who come to campus, assist the college during special functions/events and help develop new college programs. The Ambassadors will help increase communication between JMC majors and faculty.
- A minimum GPA of 3.25
- The applicant must have declared the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication as their major or otherwise signified their intent to pursue education in the college as an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Each academic year, students interested in serving as Ambassadors may fill out a nomination form by contacting the Ambassador's advisor, Kristen Lazalier.
- Applicants must interview with the Selection Committee for the position.
- Candidates should demonstrate good communication skills and knowledge of the University and College.
- To act as responsible representatives of the University of Oklahoma and the Gaylord College at both on and off campus events.
- To provide support for recruitment of JMC students to OU.
- To assist with special events and departmental functions as requested.
- To attend meetings with campus visitors as requested.
- Student ambassadors have the opportunity to build a close association with many faculty and staff members in the Gaylord College.
- Ambassadors are given the opportunity to meet nationally known journalists, political figures and academics who visit OU.
- The ambassador program provides excellent experience in public relations and public speaking skills.
- Students may earn one credit hour of independent study (JMC 4990) for participation.