Procedures for Approval of Petitions to Appoint a Graduate Assistant Over .50 FTE
How to Petition to Appoint a Graduate Assistant Over .50 FTE
- Fill out Petition to Appoint a Graduate Assistant over .50 FTE
- Petitions should be directed to Janis Paul, Associate Dean of the Graduate College.
- The signature of the Advisor, Liaison or Chair of the student’s academic department will be required on the petition.
- Questions regarding petitions should be directed to Suzanne Peters, Assistant to the Associate Dean of the Graduate College. Suzanne can be contacted at (405) 325-1838 or at email@example.com.
- Students and departments will be notified of the determination by the Graduate College via email.
Responsibility of the Graduate Student to Submit the Petition to Appoint a Graduate Assistant
Over .50 FTE
- Graduate Assistants appointed over .50 FTE often hold a combination of appointments in various departments. As a result, departments are often not aware that a Graduate Assistant’s total FTE exceeds .50 FTE. It is, therefore, the responsibility of the Graduate Student to submit the Petition to Appoint a Graduate Assistant Over .50 FTE to the Graduate College for approval prior to the start of the semester.
- Whenever a department is aware that a Graduate Student's total appointment(s) will exceed .50 FTE, the department should inform the Graduate Student of his or her responsibility to complete and submit the Petition to Appoint a Graduate Assistant Over .50 FTE to the Graduate College.
- If a Graduate Assistant's appointment(s) will continue to exceed .50 FTE after the term of approval granted by the Graduate College has expired, the Graduate Student must submit a new petition the Graduate College for approval prior to the start of the subsequent semester.
Criteria for Approval of a Petition to Appoint a Graduate Assistant Over .50 FTE
- Graduate Students may not be appointed over .70 FTE at any time.
- Appointments totaling more than .50 FTE cannot be approved for the Fall and Spring semesters for an international student on a student visa. During Summer and intersession, international students on a student visa may not exceed .70 FTE.
- Students must be in good academic standing.
- The assistantship(s) must be relevant to the student’s program of study.
- The assistantship(s) must not impede the student’s progress towards the degree.
- Students are generally not approved to work over .50 FTE during the first semester of Graduate level coursework.
- Petitions are not required for summer appointments which will exceed .50 FTE.
Tracking Compliance of Graduate Assistantships Exceeding .50 FTE
- Two weeks into the start of each semester, Employee Services will generate a report of all Graduate Assistants who are appointed over .50 FTE. Students with appointments exceeding .50 FTE which were not approved by the Graduate College will be notified that a petition to the Graduate College is required. Students will then be given one week to submit the Petition to Appoint a Graduate Assistant Over .50 FTE to the Graduate College for review.
- Departments may not effectively increase a Graduate Assistant’s FTE via supplemental pay.
- The Graduate College does not review supplemental pay requests. However, Human Resources will verify that a Gradaute Assistant's composite appointment (FTE and any supplemental pay) does not exceed 28 hours per week.