FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: OU Public Affairs, (405) 325-1701
NORMAN – The University of Oklahoma Class of 2013 will celebrate their time at OU with a brick and stone sign reading “The University of Oklahoma,” to be placed at the corner of Highway 9 and Chautauqua Avenue – the south entrance to campus.
Class of 2013 members have raised approximately $6,000 toward the sign, which remains in the planning stages.
In announcing the Class of 2013 gift, Senior Class Gift Committee Chair Melissa Reddout said, “The university’s south campus has seen continual growth and development during our time here at OU, and the class of 2013 wanted to leave its lasting legacy by welcoming students, faculty, staff, and friends to this integral part of our campus. OU students truly understand the importance of giving back to the university.
“The Student Alumni Association and the Class Gift Committee have the honor of facilitating opportunities for graduating students to give back to our alma mater that has given so much to us over our collegiate experiences. I look forward to coming back to campus and seeing a part of the legacy of The Class of 2013 standing for future generations to see.”
Since 1906, OU students have left behind a special gift to the campus and all the students who follow in their footsteps.
Over the years, class gifts have created such campus monuments as the Cherokee Gothic arches that welcome visitors to Parrington Oval and the Asp Avenue, Elm Avenue and Brooks Street entrances and the Centennial Arches, a 100th birthday gift to OU from the Class of 1990, which stand sentinel at the entrance of Van Vleet Oval; the OU Reflecting Pool at The Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, originally a gift of the Class of 1934 and revived by the classes of 1960 and 2000; and the fountain and pool between Oklahoma Memorial Union and Monnet Hall, a gift of the Class of 1935.
Other class gifts include Reunion Park (classes of 1948 and 1949), located on the corner of Boyd Street and College Avenue; the Spoonholder, located in the center of Parrington Oval, which was originally a gift of the Class of 1910 and was rebuilt as a joint effort between the classes of 1949 and 1999; the Seed Sower Seal (Class of 1998), completed by artist-in-residence Paul Moore and located on Stuart Landing of Oklahoma Memorial Union; “The Guardian” sculpture (Class of 2002), designed by American-Indian artist Enoch Kelly Haney; the American Flag Plaza, located north of The Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (Class of 2004); and a historic-style exterior clock (Class of 2005), between the Adams and Walker towers, among others. The Class of 2008 gave a custom sundial, placed on the North Oval between the Carnegie building and Monnet Hall to replace the original campus sundial. The Class of 2008 also helped repair the damage to OU’s landscape from the ice storm of December 2007 by joining the Reforestation Campaign.
From 2009 to 2012, the class gifts were a series of stained-glass windows in Oklahoma Memorial Union.
Seniors still may contribute via cash or check, or charge their bursar’s account. For information on giving opportunities for the class gift, contact Courtlyn Shoate, staff adviser to the OU Student Alumni Association, at (405) 325–1710 or email@example.com.