More than 4,500 current students have chosen to take advantage of the many benefits of fraternity and sorority life at OU. These benefits include academic assistance, leadership development, close friendships and community involvement. Each of our 50 active chapters is a member of one of our four Greek councils, and each offers a variety of opportunities for personal growth and meaningful experiences.
The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is made up of 19 fraternities. IFC organizes a formal recruitment week at the beginning of each semester. Men who are interested in participating in these recruitment events are encouraged to visit ifc.ou.edu to learn more.
Multicultural Greek Council
The Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) is made up of 12 culturally based fraternities and sororities. A couple of these chapters were actually founded right here at OU. MGC hosts a recruitment event the first week of classes during both the fall and spring semesters. Chapters will host chapter-specific recruitment events (rush) during the first two weeks of the semesters.
National Pan-Hellenic Council
The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is made up of nine historically African-American fraternities and sororities. Individual chapters may host intake at various times throughout the year. Students interested in joining should contact individual chapters for more information about their intake processes.
The University of Oklahoma Panhellenic Association is the umbrella organization for the 11 NPC sororities chartered at OU, and is responsible for organizing activities of mutual concern and interest to all the NPC sororities on campus. Each member group is autonomous as a social, Greek-letter society of college women and alumnae. Panhellenic Recruitment occurs the week prior to fall classes. Women who would like to participate in Recruitment must register by July 15.
Contact information for Fraternity and Sorority Student Life:
Associate Director of Fraternity and Sorority Student Life
Multicultural Greek Council Adviser
Interfraternity Council Graduate Assistant
National Pan-Hellenic Council Adviser
Panhellenic Council Graduate Assistant
MGC and NPHC Graduate Assistant
Fun Facts about Greek life at OU:
- The all Greek GPA is 3.2, compared to an all campus GPA of 3.0.
- 66 fraternity/sorority members are presidents/chairs of other organizations.
- Fraternity/sorority members hold 1,321 executive officer positions on campus.
- Fraternity/sorority members receive more than 5,500 honors and awards annually.
- Members perform more than 8500 Individual community service hours and 20,000 group community service hours annually.
- For the past 2 years, 8 of the 10 PE-ET (Top 10 Senior Honor Society) have been Greek.
- For the 2009-10 year, 7 of the 9 Big Men on Campus, 6 of the 9 Big Women on Campus, 8 Outstanding Freshmen, 9 Outstanding Sophomores and 10 Outstanding Juniors were Greek.
- Greek students frequently win nationally competitive scholarships, such as the Rotary Scholarship (Brittany Ryan of Pi Beta Phi) and the Truman Scholarship (Caleb Gayle of Alpha Phi Alpha Inc. and Austin Slaymaker of Sigma Phi Epsilon).
- Many fraternities/sororities “adopt” international students as honorary members to give them a glimpse of Greek life at OU.