Skip Navigation
student life website wordmarkou homepageStudent Life homepage

Plan a Student Organization Trip

If your registered student organization is planning a trip there are several steps you should take in order to comply with University policy and ensure a safe and fun journey for your members.

During the planning stages for any organizational trip you must first register your trip with the University Vice President for Student Affairs’ office. Registration will be completed following submission of the appropriate Travel Authorization/Registration form. This form must be submitted to Student Affairs in Oklahoma Memorial Union 265 at least one full week prior to the scheduled date of travel.

As the spring semester gets underway and some of you make plans for field trips and research and service trips, the University of Oklahoma Norman campus has in place travel restrictions to West African countries under CDC Level 3 travel warnings. While there have been no cases of Ebola in Oklahoma, we must be vigilant and prepared.  OU has taken steps in an effort to assure the protection and safety of our faculty, staff and students. Almost all universities and colleges throughout the country have taken similar actions.

Please review the Travel Restriction Policy available at:



As an organization it is your responsibility to make sure you keep important documents on file regarding your travel plans and participants so information will be available if it becomes necessary.

These are the documents your group should have on file:

  • List of participants, campus addresses, local phone(s), and emergency contacts
  • Copies of drivers licenses for all drivers (if applicable)
  • Proof of current liability insurance (if using personal vehicles only)
  • Medical Information and Voluntary Assumption of Risk and Informed Consent Forms

Copies of these documents should be kept in the advisor’s office, in a secure place designated by the president, and on-hand during the actual trip. Having multiple copies of this information will ensure that it is available in the case an emergency arises.

Your organization must also designate a University employee to serve as an emergency contact in case something happens. The employee can be your adviser if he/she is not going on the trip. However, if your official adviser will be traveling with the group, the emergency contact needs to be another person at OU.

For full details on what is required for organization travel, please view the Travel Policy for Registered Student Organizations.