1. Carry your car keys when approaching your vehicle so you can enter quickly.
2. Always check underneath your car upon approach and in the rear seat for intruders before entering your automobile.
3. Lock your doors and keep windows rolled up whenever possible.
4. Drive on well traveled and well lit streets.
5. Never hitchhike, and never pick up hitchhikers.
6. If someone tries to enter your stopped vehicle, sound the horn and drive to a safe area such as a convenience store.
7. If your vehicle breaks down, ask any person who stops to help to call the police. Do not allow any person access to you or inside your car. Roll down your window no more than an inch. Be aware that an accident may be staged to provide an opportunity to commit a criminal act.
8. Leave enough room between your car and the one ahead so you can drive around it if necessary.
9. Call ahead when driving to your home or apartment late at night and have someone watch you walk from your car to the residence.