History of OU
Created by the Oklahoma Territorial Legislature in 1890, the University of Oklahoma is a doctoral degree-granting research university serving the educational, cultural, economic and health-care needs of the state, region and nation.
By 1895, there were four faculty members, three men and one woman, and 100 students enrolled. Today there are more than 30,000 students at the University.
Boomer and Sooner are the costumed mascots that represent the University and the OU Athletics Department. The characters are an extension of the Sooner Schooner and its horses.
The Sooner Schooner is a conestoga (covered wagon) reminiscent of the mode of travel used by pioneers who settled Oklahoma Territory around the time of the 1889 Land Run. The Schooner was introduced in the fall of 1964 and become the official mascot of the Oklahoma Sooners in 1980.
The OU Seal
President Boyd, OU's first president, wanted an official seal. The idea came from a chapel talk he made on the parable of the man sowing seeds. George Bucklin drew the design, a sketch of a sower with his bag of seeds. The Latin motto, "Civi et Reipublicae," furnished by Professor Paxton translated to "For the citizen and the state."