“To inspire and enable OU instructors to provide the best possible educational experience for our students.”
There are many online resources already available to learn about Canvas. To get a brief overview of Canvas, check out Canvas FastTrack Video Series or Canvas All Video Guides. Alternatively, if you prefer reading and referencing a manual, there is a great guide for instructors. Collectively, there are many tutorials we recommend:
Canvas Quick Tips
Teaching in technology-enhanced active learning classroom is very different from the more traditional lecture course based on “what do students need to know”. Instead, class time is directed by “what do students need to be able to do and what do they need to know in order to do this?” As a result, most of the course content learning is outside of class, and class time focuses on how to use the content for solving relevant, interesting and significant problems.
Characteristics of technology-enhanced, active learning lectures include:
- Cooperative learning environments that encourage student collaboration and peer teaching.
- Technology that allows students to easily present work for review by peers and instructors.
- Learning applications and access to data sets and other information sources.
- Media-rich visualizations and simulations.
- Furniture designed to facilitate small-group work.
- The ability for instructors to interactively coach students during activities.
- New options for student interaction and class structure.
Signature courses enhance the traditional classroom experience by offering additional online materials designed to engage students outside of the classroom and improve the learning experience. CTE has developed sections for Exploring US History 1483 and 1493, and Political Science 1113, which includes videos on democracy from President Boren and faculty.
The prices of traditional textbooks continue to increase, further driving up the cost of Higher Education. CTE's goal is to provide training and support to assist faculty in adopting, converting, or creating digital educational content for courses to replace higher cost textbooks and course supplements.