Every Student Reads II (ESR-II) is a grant funded through the Oklahoma Regents for Higher Education to the University of Oklahoma. The focus of the grant is vocabulary and reading comprehension instruction with the specific purpose of providing professional development that improves teacher content knowledge and teacher knowledge about data-driven decision-making in the classroom. We will be working with teachers in Grades PreK-8. One of the partnering school districts must serve a population in which at least 20 percent of the children are from families with incomes below the poverty line as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau.
ESR-II provides 50 hours of professional development in vocabulary and reading comprehension instruction through the following activities:
- 35 hours in an intensive summer institute incorporating topics determined through a needs assessment survey completed by participating teachers. Date: June 22-26, 2009.
- 15 hours of school-based follow-up activities.
- 6 hours of classroom coaching in implementing instructional strategies from the summer institute. Date: A three-hour cycle in the fall and again in the spring.
- 9 hours of lesson study meetings with University of Oklahoma instructors held outside class time. Date: Two 3-hour meetings during fall and one 3-hour meeting during spring.
Additional Grant Services:
- Website support for lesson planning and resources.
- Teacher-friendly books containing research-based instructional strategies for vocabulary and reading-comprehension instruction.
Summer Institute Location
Gordan Cooper Technology Center, Shawnee