Letters of Concentration for Alternative Certification
Those seeking alternative teacher certification through the Oklahoma State Department of Education may be required to obtain a Letter of Concentration. Eligibility to request a letter of concentration from OU requires meeting each of the following criteria.
You are eligible to request a letter of concentration in a content area if you:
- graduated from OU with a bachelors degree,
- completed 45-60 credit hours of course work, including both lower and upper division courses, in a content area for which JRCoE is authorized to recommend certification,
- maintained an OU retention GPA of 2.5, AND
- have not been denied admittance to an approved teacher education program, or enrolled in and subsequently failed required teacher education courses necessary to meet the minimum requirements of a teacher education program.
You are eligible to request a letter of concentration in school counseling if you:
- graduated from OU with a masters degree,
- completed at least 12 credit hours of graduate coursework specific to working with children and families in a school setting, AND
- have a valid Oklahoma teaching certificate and classroom experience.
NOTE: Masters degrees in Human Relations or Social Work do not provide preparation for school counseling in the absence of meeting the requirements noted above.
NOTE: if you are a Licensed Professional Counselor recognized by the State of Oklahoma, you may apply directly to OSDE for certification in school counseling.
Please contact the Undergraduate Advising Office (phone: 405.325.2238, email: email@example.com; location: 137 Ellsworth Collings Hall) for information about how to request a letter of concentration.