The University of Oklahoma has a program for the preparation of school superintendents (Oklahoma Statutes, 70-6-189(C)) that focuses on district level educational leadership competencies. The preparation program at OU consists of a minimum 25 graduate credit hours, to include each of the following courses (all are 3 credit hours, unless noted):
- EACS 6103 Visionary Leadership
- EACS 6203 Instructional Leadership
- EACS 6303 Strategic and Financial Planning in Education
- EACS 6263 Education and Community Relations
- EACS 6503 Ethics in Educational Administration
- EACS 6663 Special Education Law
- EACS 6693 Educational Technology Leadership
- EACS 6920 Superintendent Internship (4 credits)
Provisions may be made on an individual basis for relevant work experience and transfer coursework. All coursework to be counted as part of the requirement must have been completed no earlier than 5 years prior to the approval of this plan. Candidates who complete the program of study accordingly are eligible to receive university endorsement for regular administrative certification.
Prospective candidates should first submit the Superintendent Certification Recommendation Form to the EACS program area. After Part 1 of this plan has been approved by the program area, the candidate should apply for admission into the certification only program.
*Note: Current or former EACS doctoral students should consult ELPS departmental staff about programmatic options.
Superintendent Certification Program Application Procedures:
- Prospective candidates should first submit the Superintendent Certification Recommendation Form to the EACS program area. After Part 1 of this plan has been approved by the program area, the candidate should apply for admission into the Superintendent Certification program, as follows:
- Complete the Graduate College application and apply as a non-degree student using the following ''Teacher Certification Code"
Q535 General Admin. Superintendent