Educational Administration Curriculum & Supervision M.Ed
In addition to the general requirements for all M.Ed. programs in EACS, students electing the thesis option must successfully complete the following proscribed coursework, and meet the thesis requirement (see bottom of the page).
M.Ed. THESIS PROGRAM COURSE REQUIREMENTS:
Major Core: 12 hours
- EACS 5233 Organization of Education
- EACS 5543 Curriculum Development in Elementary and Secondary Schools
- EACS 5573 Supervision of Instruction
- EACS 6243 Education and the Law
Foundation Core: 6 hours or two courses
One course from EDS
- EDS 5703 Sociology of Education
- EDS 5913 Cultural Pluralism and Education
- EDS 5933 Women in Education
- EDS 6763 Issues in Contemporary American Education
- EDS 6793 History of American Education
and One course from EIPT
- EIPT 5163 Educational Psychology of Childhood (for elementary principals)
- EIPT 5173 Educational Psychology of Adolescence (for secondary principals)
EIPT 5113 Educational Psychology of Human Development (for either elementary or secondary)
Other required courses, Thesis Option:
- EACS 5980 Research for Master's Thesis: 4 hours
- Research Course (approved by adviser): 3 hours
- Electives as approved by adviser: 9 hours
- EACS 5123 Advanced Studies in ECE Curriculum
- EACS 5253 Legal Aspects of Teaching
- EACS 5343 Financial Leadership in Schools
- EACS 5553 Teacher Evaluation Models
- EACS 5583 Supervision of Special Services/Programs
- EACS 5593 The Principalship
- EACS 5623 Staff Development
- EACS 5683 The Middle School
- EACS 5693 Technology in Educational Administration
- EACS 6033 Curr. Dev.: Adult Education
- EACS 6123 Administration and Organizational Theory
- EACS 6213 Evaluation in Educational Institutions
- EACS 6223 Policy Planning and Development
- EACS 6253 Financing Education
- EACS 6263 Ed. and Community Relations
- EACS 6273 Personnel Admin. in Education
- EACS 6970 Seminar in Educational Administration
- EACS 6970 Seminar in Special Education Law
Other electives may count, if approved by your EACS adviser.
TOTAL: 34 credit hours
Students selecting the thesis option will be required to successfully write and defend a master's thesis. More information about the thesis is available through the Graduate Programs Officer.
Note: The official degree checklist is available through the OU Graduate College website:
(Norman campus, OUHSC and Online/Blended)
Master's degree other requirements:
- B.S. in Education or equivalent for admission. Students must have 12 hours of prerequisite courses in Education. Students without the necessary prerequisites are expected to fulfill those requirements. Additional courses may be required depending upon the area of certification and the area of study.
- Completion of at least 34 hours for the thesis program.
- 75% of course credits taught by OU Graduate Faculty.
- 25% of course credits may be transfer credit.
(Exception: If courses taken via Oklahoma Higher Education Televised Instructional System, 50% may be transferred from OSU and/or University of Tulsa).
- No graduate credit may be earned through correspondence courses, but such work may be taken to satisfy prerequisites.
- Satisfactory completion of a thesis.
- A 3.0 (B) or better GPA both in graduate coursework and in all coursework attempted.
- At least 50% of all coursework must be letter-graded.
- All work completed within five calendar years
- Satisfy the program requirements for major core, foundation core, and other required courses and electives.