Teacher Certification in Oklahoma
Information about Oklahoma Teacher Certification:
- Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE)
- OSDE: Teacher Certification
- Office of Educational Quality and Accountability (OEQA)
- OEQA: Certification Examinations for Oklahoma Educators
- Certification Exams for Oklahoma Educators (CEOE)
- Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET)
- Oklahoma Subject Area Tests (OSAT)
- Oklahoma Professional Teaching Examination (OPTE)
For more information about the teacher certification process please contact the Undergraduate Advising Office (phone: 405.325.2238, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; location: 137 Ellsworth Collings Hall) or Ms. Jamie Aldridge, Certification Officer, (phone: 325-2108, email: email@example.com; location: 114 Ellsworth Collings Hall).
The College has a small emergency fund to help students experiencing financial difficulty cover the cost of these exams. Please see your advisor to inquire about eligibility.
Oklahoma State Department of Education Alternative Certification Program
Note: Unlike traditional teaching endorsements, endorsements earned through alternative teacher certification may not be recognized outside of the State of Oklahoma.
- OSDE: Oklahoma Alternative Placement Program for Teacher Certification
- OSDE: Oklahoma Title I School Paraprofessional Credential Requirements
Letters of Concentration for Alternative Certification
Those seeking alternative teacher certification through the Oklahoma State Department of Education may be required to obtain a Letter of Concentration. Eligibility to request a letter of concentration from OU requires meeting each of the following criteria.
You are eligible to request a letter of concentration in a content area if you:
- graduated from OU with a bachelors degree,
- completed 45-60 credit hours of course work, including both lower and upper division courses, in a content area for which JRCoE is authorized to recommend certification,
- maintained an OU retention GPA of 2.5, AND
- have not been denied admittance to an approved teacher education program, or enrolled in and subsequently failed required teacher education courses necessary to meet the minimum requirements of a teacher education program.
You are eligible to request a letter of concentration in school counseling if you:
- graduated from OU with a masters degree,
- completed at least 12 credit hours of graduate coursework specific to working with children and families in a school setting, AND
- have a valid Oklahoma teaching certificate and classroom experience.
NOTE: Masters degrees in Human Relations or Social Work do not provide preparation for school counseling in the absence of meeting the requirements noted above.
NOTE: if you are a Licensed Professional Counselor recognized by the State of Oklahoma, you may apply directly to OSDE for certification in school counseling.
Please contact the Undergraduate Advising Office (phone: 405.325.2238, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; location: 137 Ellsworth Collings Hall) for information about how to request a letter of concentration.