Find Your Future Summer Education Camp
The Find Your Future Summer Education Camp is a five-day residential summer program designed to recruit and prepare high school students of color who are interested in exploring the possibility of becoming educators. The Find Your Future program is led by Associate Dean T. Elon Dancy, Ph.D. and Krystal Golding-Ross, M.Ed.
Last year 15 boys of color from around the OKC metro participated in the camp and it was a great success! This year we are expanding the program to include both boys and girls. The camp is offered at absolutely no cost to participants and will include transportation to and from OU as well as housing, meals and activities. Students will be chaperoned at all times during the camp.
“It was amazing. I loved every second of it and would recommend it to everyone interested, males and females.” - Jaylon
PARTICIPANTS MUST BE:
- A high school student of color currently enrolled in an OKC metro area high school, with preference given to students who will be juniors or seniors in Fall 2017.
- Interested in exploring the possibility of a career in education.
- Academically motivated.
"My passion for education grew when one of the speakers said that 'all teachers have the power to change a student's life and all students have the power to change a teacher's life.' These words; simple yet powerful were my call to action. I knew I had to pursue a future where I would change lives; a future in education.” – Alberto
PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Five days of housing and meals at OU
- Transportation to and from campus
- Opportunities to engage with speakers and panelists
- Opportunities to engage in collaborative learning activities
- Information about careers in education
- Information about applying to and paying for college
- Information about scholarship opportunities
- Mentoring from faculty and students in the College of Education at OU
- Ongoing support for success in high school and beyond
- Invitations to OU events
For more information about the camp or assistance with completing the application, please contact Krystal Golding-Ross at email@example.com or (405) 325-6220.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MAY 15
"The camp was a lot of fun! I've decided not to sign the contract to play soccer and I'm pursuing my education and the camp has actually helped me decide what I want to major in. And that is education! So the camp had a huge impact on my decision and life.”- Mason
2016 campers take part in a team-building exercise.
Find Your Future is funded primarily through donations from individuals. For more information about supporting this program through a financial contribution, please contact Emily Reed, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (405) 325-1976.
Panel discussion at the 2016 camp.
We are currently looking for guest speakers and panelists. Please contact Krystal Golding-Ross at email@example.com or (405) 325-6220 if you or someone you know may be interested in participating.