Brian E. & Sandra O'Brien Presidential Professor
Adult and Higher Education Program Area Coordinator
Department: Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
Program Area: Adult and Higher Education & Women's and Gender Studies
Penny A. Pasque is the Brian E. and Sandra O'Brien Presidential Professor and Program Area Coordinator of Adult and Higher Education in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, Women's and Gender Studies, and the Center for Social Justice at OU. Her research addresses complexities in higher education organization, policy and management in relation to in/equities in higher education, critical qualitative methodological perspectives, and dis/connections between higher education and society.
Dr. Pasque is the associate editor for the Journal of Higher Education and has published in The Review of Higher Education, Qualitative Inquiry, Diversity in Higher Education, Journal of College Student Development, among others. In addition, she is author of American Higher Education Leadership and Policy: Critical Issues and the Public Good (Palgrave Macmillan; in second printing), Transforming Understandings of Diversity in Higher Education: Demography, Democracy, and Discourse (edited with Ortega, Burkhardt & Ting, Stylus), Empowering Women in Higher Education and Student Affairs (edited with Nicholson, Stylus), and Engaged Research and Practice: Higher Education and the Pursuit of the Public Good (edited with Overton & Burkhardt, Stylus).
Her qualitative inquiry books include:
· Qualitative Inquiry in Higher Education Organization and Policy Research (edited with Lechuga, Routledge).
· Critical Qualitative Inquiry: Foundations and Futures (edited with Cannella and Pérez, Left Coast Press)
· Handbook chapter “Critical Advocacy Perspectives on Organization in Higher Education” (with Carducci) in Education: Handbook of Theory and Research (Paulsen, ed., Springer).
· Qualitative Inquiry for Equity in Higher Education: Methodological Innovations, Implications, and Interventions (Carducci, Kuntz & Gildersleeve, Jossey-Bass)
Dr. Pasque is a faculty for the Higher Education Administration and Student Affairs emphases and teaches courses on Qualitative Research, Diversity in Higher Education, Foundations of Student Affairs in Higher Education, Organization and Management of First Year Experience Programs, Critical Literature in Adult and Higher Education, among others. Her Ph.D. is from the University of Michigan.
- Higher Education Organization and Policy
- Diversity and Social Justice in Higher Education
- Critical Qualitative Inquiry
- Gender In/equity in Higher Education and Student Affairs
- Higher Education and Society