Research and Travel Funds - Graduate Students
Funds are available for Norman campus graduate students (Masters or Doctoral) to help pay for expenses related to academic conference travel or for conducting research.
A graduate student may apply once per academic year for financial support for travel to a conference for presentation purposes or for research-related activities. Typically, the Research Committee tries to fund up to one-third of costs. The maximum award is $1,000. You will need to provide expense receipts to receive reimbursement. Additional travel support may be available through your department (ask a member of the departmental staff) and the Graduate College. Information about Graduate College support for travel is available at this link: http://www.ou.edu/gradweb/funding_and_aid/scholarships_travel_research_grants.
Directions for applying for funds:
• Complete the online travel fund application form at: https://ousurvey.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a4Twme4hyOOGQKh
• The form requires an estimate of costs so fill in every box. Type $0 if the expected amount is $0.
• Specify details (travel support or research support, location of conference, summary of anticipated expenses) in the box for narrative (5,000 character limit). If presenting a paper, upload a letter of acceptance or copy the page from the conference program that features your presentation. If you are asking for research support, upload the IRB approval letter.
• Click through the questions and hit ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the application. If you need help with the online form, please email Mike Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does NOT qualify for Travel and Research Funding?
• Food or other expenses for participants in a research study
• Class projects
• Requests for disbursements over $1000.
• Any reimbursement request submitted more than 120 days after the event is subject to taxes.
For travel planned for July 1 – December 31, the deadline is October 1.
Awards are announced in November.
For travel planned for January 1 – June 30, the deadline is March 1.
Awards are announced in April.
Funds may fluctuate due to factors beyond the control of the Research Committee such as the number of applications and the annual budget..
Before traveling, graduate students will need to fill out the Travel Authorization Request Form (PDF) and get it signed by the appropriate department head. This form will be submitted to Mike Jenkins in the Graduate Programs office in Collings Hall, Room 150 East or by email at email@example.com.