Skip Navigation
the university of oklahoma enrollment websiteThe Univeristy of OklahomaOU Enrollment

How to Get Advised

Activating your OUNet Account

Your OUNet account is created when you are admitted to the University, and must be activated to access online services such as OU email, enrollment, tuition payment, course management, computer labs, and grades. Your email address is the primary means of communication concerning enrollment, financial aid, scholarships, and other important campus notifications.

To activate your account, go to and click on “I'm New to OU.” Follow the instructions provided on that site.

Advising and Enrollment of New Students

First-time entering freshmen who desire to enroll in classes for the Fall semester prior to August 23, 2015 are required to participate in Enrollment 2015, the university’s summer orientation and enrollment program for new students. Information about Enrollment 2015 will be mailed to all new students who are eligible to participate, or students may contact University College, (405) 325-3521 for information. First-time entering freshmen who do not participate in Enrollment 2015 will be allowed to enroll for fall classes following the conclusion of the program and should contact University College.

New transfer students have several options for advisement and enrollment. Any transfer student admitted to OU may be advised and enroll in fall classes during Transfer Days, 2015 in March on the Norman Campus. For more information, contact the Office of Prospective Student Services, (405) 325-2151 or toll free, 1-800-234-6868, or the Office of Admissions, (405) 325-2252. Eligible transfer students may also enroll through Enrollment 2015 (see First-time entering freshmen, above). Transfer students may also contact the college to which they have been admitted for information about enrolling during the advance registration period, beginning in April, according to the schedule listed in the Registration Instructions.

College Advising Information

Advisement procedures have been established by each college. If you are unsure which college you're in, please contact the Admissions office at 325-2252, 127 Buchanan Hall, or the Registration office at 325-3572, 230 Buchanan Hall.

College of Architecture

Students in the College of Architecture are advised in Individual Advising Sessions by one of the College advisors. Due to the rigor and inflexibility of the program sequences, it is necessary that all students meet for advisement during each enrollment period. The College of Architecture does not permit self-advising.

College of Arts and Sciences

The College provides advising services through professional advising staff in the College of Arts and Sciences Academic Services office and through professional and faculty advisors in the departments. Professional Counselors in the Academic Services office are knowledgeable about degree programs offered by the College and will assist with choice of major, help resolve academic and graduation problems, and help determine how evaluated transfer work will apply toward degree requirements. The professional counselors in the Academic Services office verify that all degree requirements have been met and clear students for graduation. Faculty and professional advisors in the departments provide in-depth information about the discipline, courses, instructors, and special opportunities available through the department.  The College of Arts and Sciences requires all students to be advised prior to each enrollment by the faculty or professional advisor in the major department.

Students new to the College who have transfer credits should meet with an academic counselor in the Academic Services office for an evaluation of credits for University and College requirements. All other students should seek advisement from their faculty or professional advisor in the major department.  After being advised, students should receive an advising form that lists their preferred courses.

Students may view their academic requirements and progress with Degree Navigator.  Degree Navigator is helpful for viewing courses completed toward graduation and courses remaining to be completed.  Students and advisors use this information in planning for enrollment.  Degree Navigator should be used in conjunction with the degree requirement sheet (check sheet), as the check sheet is the definitive document the College counselors use for graduation clearance.

The Arts and Sciences Academic Services office is located in 124 Ellison Hall. The telephone number is (405) 325-4411.

College of Atmospheric & Geographic Sciences

The College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences believes that faculty members are best qualified to provide curricular, professional and career advisement; therefore, all Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences students consult with a faculty adviser before registration. Each semester, students will be contacted by their Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences school/department regarding who their faculty advisor will be and when advising hours will be held.

The College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences Dean’s Office strongly encourages students to review their academic records on Degree Navigator prior to scheduling an advising appointment with their faculty advisor.  Students should also prepare an enrollment plan before meeting with their advisor. For further information or general questions, please call (405) 325-3095.


Undergraduate curriculum and advisement matters are coordinated through Price Academic Advising Services in Michael F. Price Hall, Suite 1010. The College’s Academic Counselors maintain records on undergraduate students in Price College. Academic Counselors are available to provide information concerning degree requirements, degree audits and contract enrollment. Students seeking industry trends and information should contact the appropriate division or school office (Accounting, Finance, Management and Entrepreneurship, Management Information Systems, or Marketing and Supply Chain Management). The telephone number of Price Academic Advising Services is (405) 325-6021. Graduate student advisement is handled through the Graduate Programs Office, Michael F. Price Hall, Suite 1040. The telephone number is (405) 325-4107. Please see our web site


Aviation majors are required to be advised each semester prior to enrolling. Undergraduate curriculum and advisement matters are coordinated by the Aviation Academic Office, at Westheimer Airport, Aviation Department, NC 101, Room 209. The aviation academic counselors are available to provide information concerning degree requirements and graduation. Students seeking specific aviation/flying advisement should contact the department at (405) 325-7231, or schedule an appointment online at


The Mewbourne College of Earth and Energy believes that faculty members are best qualified to provide curricular, professional and career advisement; therefore, all MCEE students consult with a faculty advisor before registration.  All undergraduate students who have been admitted to the MCEE should begin the enrollment process by creating a trial schedule on, being familiar with and reviewing their Degree Navigator, then scheduling an advising appointment with a faculty advisor in their specific department.  Petroleum Engineering students should attend a group faculty advising session.  Advising instructions and schedules will be posted prior to the advising period.  All MCEE Students are responsible for completing all necessary grade and course prerequisites.  New students in the MCEE and new transfer students should schedule an appointment with an advisor in the MCEE Student Services Office before enrolling for their first semester. MCEE Student Services is located in SEC N117, 325-4005.


The Undergraduate Advising Office is located in Collings Hall, Room 137; telephone: (405) 325-2238. Advisement each semester is mandatory for JRCoE undergraduates and they are individually advised by appointment only.  Appointments can be scheduled by going online to or by calling the office at (405) 325-2238.

Graduate education students seeking teacher certification should contact their Faculty advisers within their departments.

All other graduate students in the JRCoE should consult their departmental office for advisement.  Listed below are the three JRCoE departments and the graduate programs within each department.  All are located in Collings Hall.

  • Instructional Leadership and Academic Curriculum (ILAC) offers graduate programs in elementary education, science education, reading education, English/language arts education, early childhood education, social studies education, mathematics education, and World Languages. They can be reached at (405) 325-1498.
  • Educational Leadership and Policy Studies (ELPS) offers graduate programs in educational administration, curriculum and supervision, adult and higher education, and historical, philosophical, and social foundations of education.  They can be reached at (405) 325-4202.
  • Educational Psychology (EDPY) offers graduate programs in instructional psychology and technology, community counseling, counseling psychology, and special education. They can be reached at (405) 325-5974.


All undergraduate students who have been admitted to the College of Engineering should begin the enrollment process in the Williams Student Services Center (WSSC), Suite 112 Felgar Hall, 325-4096. New transfer students should schedule an appointment with an advisor in WSSC before enrolling for their first semester. All current students meet with faculty advisors in their major, so it is important to have declared a specific major by the time they are advised. Instructions for meeting with faculty advisors will be provided by the department to the students via their OU email account.  Students may also contact their school directly if they have questions about faculty advising for the upcoming term. All schools within the College of Engineering offer advising via the Lean Advising model which provides students access to faculty, staff and liaisons all in one setting.* Those students NOT attending a Lean Advising Session will have to turn in an "Advising Verification Form" to WSSC (Felgar, 112) after meeting with a faculty advisor. At that time they will be authorized to enroll in classes. Students are responsible for completing all necessary grade and prerequisites for courses in which they enroll.

Services provided by the Williams Student Services Center (WSSC) staff are available to all engineering undergraduates, including engineering majors in University College, and include assistance with transfer credit evaluation, choosing a major, graduation verification as well as information about University policies and procedures, academic support services such as tutoring and mentoring, and student organizations and leadership. Additional information is available at Williams Student Services Center website.

*The Engineering Physics Program does not have “Lean Cell” Advising sessions.


Students in the Weitzenoffer Family College of Fine Arts are required to meet with a faculty advisor each semester on the school designated Advising Day(s). These days are announced in class and are posted in the various buildings, or you may contact your school office for the date(s). Students are also notified via the monthly college eNewsletter and by individual notices sent to their OU student email addresses.  Current students who are not advised on Advising Day will have to wait to be advised and to enroll until the three days prior to the next semester starting. Currently enrolled students should proceed to their assigned faculty advisors for advisement. Newly admitted students, transfer students and readmitted students should proceed to the individual school offices (see locations below) to be assigned to a faculty advisor.

During the meeting with the faculty advisor, students should obtain an Academic Advising Form completed and signed by the advisor, and any needed overrides (Special Permissions). The student should then take the advisement form to the Dean’s Office, in order to have their advising flag removed.

The Fine Arts Dean’s Office is located in Fred Jones Art Center (FJC), Room 122; tel. (405) 325-7370. Office locations for Schools within the Weitzenhoffer Family College of Fine Arts are:

  • Art/Art History--Fred Jones Art Center (FJC), Room 202;
  • Dance--Reynolds Performing Arts Ctr (RPAC), Room 1000;
  • Drama—Old Science Hall (SCI)), Room 121;
  • Music--Catlett Music Center (CMC), Room 138;
  • Musical Theatre —Carpenter Hall (CH), Room 104


The Department of International and Area Studies (IAS) is a part of the College of International Studies, along with Education Abroad and International Student Services.  The department includes majors in Asian Studies, European Studies, International Security Studies, International Studies, Latin American Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, and Russian and Eastern European Studies.

International and Area Studies provides advising through professional advising staff in Hester Hall.  The academic counselor assists students with academic and graduation problems, evaluates transfer work, and verifies and clears degree requirements (405-325-1429).  The academic advisor provides detailed information regarding the Department’s majors, minors, courses, and instructors (405-325-4547).  Every IAS major is required to meet with the professional advisor prior to enrollment each semester for assistance in choosing appropriate classes.  

Students should be familiar with the degree requirement checksheet for their chosen major, available on IAS websiteDegree Navigator is another helpful tool students and advisors use to view academic requirements and progress.


All undergraduates must be advised prior to each enrollment. Pre-Journalism students who are in University College should meet with their counselor in that office.

With the exception of Intersession, advising is mandatory prior to each academic term for all students in the Gaylord College.  Advising for the fall semester begins in February; advising for the spring/summer semester begins in September.  Students are advised by professional academic counselors in the Student Services Center.  Students may also meet with faculty members to discuss careers, internships, and professional issues.  Notices about advising will be posted in The Gaylord Extra.

Students are required to maintain current local addresses and e-mail addresses with the university, as important advising and graduation information is distributed each academic term in The Gaylord Extra.

The Language Skills Test is the entrance examination to the Gaylord College.  The LST/AIT must be completed prior to enrollment in JMC 2033 (Writing for Mass Media), a course that is required of all journalism and mass communication majors.

The LST includes 80 questions on grammar, punctuation and spelling.

The AIT covers information from the Students’ Guide to Academic Integrity as found on the new Academic integrity website.  The AIT consists of 25 questions that are taken directly from information in the Students’ Guide to Academic Integrity.  You may download a copy of the pdf at

The LST/AIT is administered in the Student Services Center (2533 Gaylord Hall) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  No appointment is necessary.  Test results are available the next business day.

The college encourages students to thoroughly review these areas prior to taking the LST.  An online study guide is available on the college’s website.  Students are also encouraged to review a grammar and composition textbook (several are recommended on the college’s Web site) as well as the Student Academic Integrity Code.

The LST/AIT may be attempted three times during their Academic tenure at the University of Oklahoma.  If a student fails the third time, the student will be required to enroll in JMC 0123 (Fundamentals of Writing for the Media), a course that will not apply toward the degree.


The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in Multidisciplinary Studies are university-wide degrees administered through the College of Arts and Sciences.  The ability to select major courses from a combination of the University of Oklahoma’s many departments/colleges allows the student to be in charge of his/her education in a unique way.  Multidisciplinary Studies students can customize their major work to academically and professionally prepare for a field that incorporates information from multiple areas or a specialized field not represented by a pre-determined degree program.  Students design their initial major plan with the oversight of an Academic Counselor and are required to schedule an advising appointment every semester prior to enrollment.  To schedule an appointment with an MDS advisor you go log onto All designed major plans must be submitted through the College of Arts and Sciences Academic Services office in Ellison Hall room 124.  For more information on the major please visit the MDS website.


Graduate students should meet with their Graduate Liaison or advisor to discuss appropriate course enrollments and to obtain any required permission for those enrollments. Unclassified students may obtain further instructions at the Graduate College, (405) 325-3811.


Students who expect to major in Communication Sciences and Disorders, Dental Hygiene, Nuclear Medicine, Nursing, Nutritional Sciences, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy, Physician Associate, Physician Assistant Studies, Radiation Therapy, Radiography or Ultrasound (Sonography) will be advised at University College, Room 100, Wagner Hall, telephone (405) 325-3521.


Students who have been accepted to the Health Sciences Center (HSC) must be advised by the department/college in which they are majoring. To enroll in Norman Campus Classes, HSC students must receive permission from their HSC College. The HSC Office of Admissions and Records processes all enrollments, adding and/or dropping courses. All tuition and fees are paid to the OU Bursar, Buchanan Hall, 1000 Asp Ave., Norman, Oklahoma. Norman campus courses will be listed on the HSC transcript. For further information, contact the HSC Office of Admissions and Records, (405) 271-2359.


University College advises all students who have earned fewer than 24 semester hours, Pre-Health majors, students who are undecided as to their majors and students who are working to improve their academic preparation to enable them to enter a degree-recommending college. University College students will schedule an advising appointment by accessing  For scheduling questions or issues students may call University College, (405) 325-3521.  You are strongly urged to seek advisement prior to the scheduled registration periods, as these periods are the busiest time for advising. You may seek advisement at any time during the semester. Advising is not necessarily linked to registration. University College students seeking to enroll in upper-division courses must meet prerequisites or obtain special permission from the college offering the course. For more information, call (405) 325-3521.

Questions regarding enrollment in UCOL 1002, “Gateway to College Learning,” or UCOL 1022 “Freshman Seminars,” may be directed to the Office of Freshman Programs in University College.

Additional Assistance

Students who feel they may need additional assistance in the Advising or Registration process, or who feel offices of the university may not have properly assisted them may contact the following university offices:

  • President's Action Line, 325-1212
  • University Registrar, 325-8481