Drama Facilities & Technology
Reynolds Performing Arts Center
Historicly known as Holmberg Hall this is Oklahoma’s only European-style performance hall located inside the Donald W. Reynolds Performing Arts Center and seats 677. Read more about the history of the hall, here.
Elsie C. Brackett Theatre
Located inside the Rupel J. Jones Fine Arts Center, this is a traditional proscenium style 600-seat theatre with the unique capacity to utilize apron to create a thrust configuration. Many mainstage productions are held in the Elsie C. Brackett Theatre with large casts and complex sets.
Located inside the Rupel J. Jones Fine Arts Center, the A. Max Weitzenhoffer Theatre is an intimate, state-of-the-art 225 seat flexible theatre. Drama, opera and musical mainstage productions are held in this theatre-in-the-round setting.
Gilson Lab Theatre
Located inside Beatrice Carr Wallace Old Science Hall (2nd floor) is the E. Frank Gilson Lab Theatre, a 73-seat proscenium theatre with an off-Broadway feel. Lab Theatre productions are edgy, contemporary and include the Faith Broome Playwright Festival.
Located inside Beatrice Carr Wallace Old Science Hall (1st floor) the Studio Theatre is an intimate and flexible blackbox theatre that seats 50. Student-directed and Lab productions take place in this theatre.
Costume & Scene Shops
Each of our theatres is fully equipped with the technical equipment necessary to produce the highest possible quality productions. The OU School of Drama owns a variety of lighting consoles:
• ETC EOS Ti
• ETC ION
• ETC Expression 3
• ETC Express 24
• Leprecon 612 & 624
• Lightronics 4008
We also have a small control console in our lighting lab where lighting students can test their skills and see their designs come to life. We have an extensive set of conventional lighting instruments for each theatre space, primarily made up of Source 4's. Generous contributions from School of Drama Alumnus A. Max Weitzenhoffer have allowed us to enhance our inventory of intelligent lighting instruments. We have a number of intelligent lights including:
• VL2500 Spots
• Chauvet COLORado LED wash lights
• Clay Paky Scenius Profiles
• K9 Bulldog LED Spotlights
• Wybron Color Scrollers
• Apollo Smart Color Scrollers
• Large Inventory of Conventional Instruments
Our sound equipment including:
• Yamaha CL5 with Digital Snake System
• Yamaha M7 CL48
• Soundcraft Si Performer 3 with Digital Snake System
• EVA Line Array System
• L-Acoustics Kiva Line Array System
• Large FX Speaker Inventory
• Complete Microphone Inventory for voice and instruments
• QLab Audio/Visual Control Systems
OTHER THEATRE TECHNOLOGIES INCLUDE:
• Serapid Pit Lift Systems
• JLG Drivable Lift
• Genie Stationary Lift
• Prodigy System motorized Lighting positions
• SECOA Rigging Systems with Capstan Winch
- Peggy Dow Helmerich Film Studio
- Computer Aided Drafting Lab- Nine computers equipped with Vectorworks, Virtual Light Lab, internet connection and more.
Three performance classrooms
- Two equipped with a stage, piano, basic scenery and lighting for performance work.
- One is a dance studio equipped with studio mirrors, a dance bar, a piano, and rehearsal blocks used to help build basic scenery.
- We also have traditional classrooms for non-performance classes such as Theatre History and Play Structure & Analysis.
- Conference Room is used for small seminar classes and production meetings.
- All Drama students are encouraged to stay in top physical condition and our weight room is available to all Drama students to help them meet their fitness goals.