Welcome to the University of Oklahoma Percussion Studio website, where you can find out about all things percussion at OU. We update OU Percussion news and concert dates on a regular basis, so check back regularly. If you use facebook, be sure to like our Facebook Page.
2019 OU Percussion Press Composition Contest
The mission of the University of Oklahoma Percussion Studio is to serve its students, the university, the OU/Norman community, and the state region in three areas:
- Provide its students with technical and musical training necessary to be nationally competitive in their chosen field of endeavor in accordance with their personal goals.
- Presenting and contributing to performances of the highest artistic merit.
- Providing an example and resource through which the standard of percussion performance and education in the university and the university’s range of influence can be raised to the highest possible level.
Percussion studies at the University of Oklahoma are designed to develop in the percussionist the highest possible level of musicianship and an appropriate proficiency in performance and teaching. The percussion curriculum is designed to present a sequential study of all the percussion instruments throughout each degree program. Musical performance skills and concepts of education will be acquired through the following:
- The development of a technical facility to meet the needs of artistic expression.
- To promote the development of the student as a “percussionist as a musician”, emphasizing teaching and developing musicianship through the keyboard instrument.
- Performance of a cross-section of literature in all styles and areas of percussion.
- The development of the ability to sight-read proficiently on all percussion instruments.
- Experience in solo, ensemble and chamber performance.
- To develop the student percussionist as a musically advanced ensemble musician.
- To teach percussion performance and pedagogy simultaneously, developing a high-level functioning performer and educator.